1

I sighed dejectedly, turning to my computer to see the incomplete finance report onscreen. I put my assistant Jared on the phone, impatiently clicking my pen.

"Yes, Ms. Huntington?" Jared chirped excitedly.

"The finance report is incomplete." I informed him, annoyance creeping into my tone. "What the hell happened?"

"I have no idea." He muttered, echoing my mood. "I'll find out right away."

"Thanks, Jared." I reached to click off the machine, but he stopped me.

"One more thing. There's a Macy Clarke here to see you."

"I don't know who that is."

"She claims she runs another subsidiary of the company." I could hear a female voice in the background, presumably Macy Clarke.

"Alright, let her in." I huffed, smoothing down my hair. "And find out what happened to the finance report. I have to present this tomorrow morning." I clicked off before he could stop me again.

Seconds later, a voluptuous bonde marched into my office, looking like she walked straight off the cover of a magazine. She extended her hand across my desk. "Hi, you must be Bella."

"That's correct." I replied curtly. I didn't want to deal with this girl. She looked like she most likely slept her way to this position.

"I'm Macy." She settled herself in a chair set up by my desk and helped herself to a mint. "I run the subsidiary in the building next door."

"Interesting." I mumbled.

"It's pretty great isn't it?" She gave a satisfied sigh. "Anyways, since we're one of the few women in this business, we ought to get to know each other better."

"What?" I raised an eyebrow at her, skeptical.

"You know, become friends." She flashed a smile at me, pearly whites twinkling.

"Friends?" I echoed, caught off gaurd. Which isn't something that happened very often.

"Yeah." She grinned, popping the mint into her mouth.

My phone rang and I scrambled for it, immensely thankful for the interruption. "Talk to me."

"Everything is all right, Ms. Huntington. Scott sent the wrong file. The completed one should be arriving in you inbox any second now." I could hear Jared typing away on his keyboard.

"Thanks, Jared." I ended the conversation and gave Macy a pointed look. "I really have to get back to work."

"Of course. I wouldn't want to keep you." She stood up, adjusting her navy blazer. "But if you have a chance, I'll be at this bar with a few associates tonight." She scribbled down an address on a post it. With a small wave, she left, the echo of her heels clicking against the floor filling the otherwise silent room.

I took the note and crumpled it in my fist, then tossed it into the waste basket. I didn't have time for bars or friends. They would only get in the way of my career.

And my career was the only thing that mattered.