Chapter Four: Ex From Hell

As soon as Ryder's lips touch mine, euphoria like I've never known washes over my body. The kiss is hard and meant to possess. There's no tenderness and Ryder claims my lips for the entire bar to see. His hands tighten around my hair, pulling me closer as I straddle his lap. The electricity between us is undeniable, and every part of my body burns. Oh, my god. I've never been kissed like this. I part my lips, letting a low, involuntary moan escape when his velvet tongue touches mine. His lips are like fire, burning themselves into my memory forever. Like an electric shock, Ryder pulls back. He looks calm when he stares back at the dragon hunters, but I can feel his heart racing against my chest.
"I don't share," he growls, looking around the bar at the onlookers. "Move along."
Next to our table, a woman approaches and pushes herself onto the drunk man, dressed in nothing more than a slip. "Come with me. I'll give you what you need. This girl looks like she'd be as cold as the dead in bed. "
Just as I'm about to give her a snarky reply, the two of them walk off. Looking back at Ryder, I don't miss his sly smile.
"Don't do that," I say quietly as I smack his chest. "Black Sun dragons are known for our passion."
"No," Ryder says with a laugh. "You're known for your backstabbing. And you do look stiff. You haven't taken a full breath since we walked in here."
"Well..." I look around the bar, subtly gesturing at all the... action going on around us. When I start to lift off of Ryder to move back to my seat, he stops me.
"Don't move yet. It will look suspicious. We need to look like everyone else."
I look around at all the couples kissing, groping, and grinding against each other. A few women are even on their knees before a few men, and I quickly avert my eyes, burning the images from my mind.
"You know," Ryder says, "we can still kiss and be enemies."
The danger in Ryder's eyes sends another wave of heat flooding through me. "Oh yeah? How does that work?"
"It's for survival," Ryder replies. "We're both adults. We should be able to handle it."
The air between the two of us crackles as if there's an invisible force pulling us towards each other. Ryder's hand tightens on my hips, careful to keep the chain on my wrist hidden. Then he moves his hand from the back of my head to run across my lips. With a small surge of bravery, I open my mouth and gently bite the tip of his thumb. Ryder doesn't pull back. I think I see his eyes widen, but whatever I saw is quickly replaced by a grin. "I'll remember how much you like to tease, Onyx... and be sure to pay you back."
His hand clasps my neck as his tongue plunges into my mouth. This kiss is different from the first. This kiss is urgent and carnal and makes me forget every thought in my brain. Pulling back, a deep groan escapes Ryder's lips as I press a small kiss in the hollow between his neck and his ear, and I find enjoyment out of the fact that I could coax that from him. Ryder grips my hair and pulls my head back to look at him. His low growl makes my body quiver, but not out of fear.
"I may want your body, but that's it," he says, his grin replaced by a mask of stone. "You're my enemy and otherwise mean nothing."
I scoff. "My body will never belong to you."
Just as Ryder's about to respond, the drunk from earlier boasts again from across the bar about my father being killed. "I hear the Black Sun dragon King was killed in a hunt this morning."
So he was killed after I was taken. Did he know I was kidnapped? Or did Celeste lie and tell him I ran away?
"And his daughter, who was supposed to take over the Black Sun flight ran away on her wedding day."
Ryder covers his mouth as he calls out a question to remain anonymous. "Does this mean they have no leader, and the merge with the other dragon flight is off?"
The drunk man looks around the bar and shakes his head. "It's rumored the widow of the dragon king will marry the daughter's fiancé to keep the flight merge."
My mouth drops open in shock as I lean in close to whisper in Ryder's ear. "With my father and met out of the way, Celeste will stay and rule over both flights with Nestor. I need to get to my flight and stop this marriage."
Ryder nods once. "There's got to be a jail somewhere around here. If we can find it, that will be our best chance to find a key and remove these chains."