Ch.8: Jayden Party?

"You've been sleeping through the whole class, man," Max nudged me awake, his voice cutting through the fog of my half-conscious state

"You've been sleeping through the whole class, man," Max nudged me awake, his voice cutting through the fog of my half-conscious state. I groaned, finally forcing myself to sit up. I was in detention again, not that it was a surprise. At this point, I had my own reserved seat in here.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I asked, glancing at Max with a confused frown. It wasn't like he didn't end up in detention, but there was usually a story behind it.

"I accidentally touched Ms. Clinton's ass," Max said, deadpan, like it was the most casual thing in the world.

"Liar," I shot back instantly. There was no way he'd managed something that stupid by accident. Max just shrugged, pulling out a box of cigarettes like it was no big deal.

"You sneak them?" I asked, curious how he'd managed to smuggle them in without getting caught.

"Nah, I fucking shoved them up my ass, and they came out my mouth," Max said with a straight face, making me roll my eyes.

"Man, you're so full of shit," I muttered, but I still took the cigarette and lighter he offered. Mr. C, the detention teacher, was conveniently absent, so we had a bit of time to ourselves. Not that it was any kind of good behavior award, but it was something.

"You here too, Jason?" I asked, turning to look at him. He was slumped over his desk, looking like he hadn't slept in a week. He let out a long, exaggerated yawn that made me flinch.

"My head's killing me, man," Jason whined, rubbing his temples like it was the end of the world.

"You sound like a little bitch," I shot back, lighting up the cigarette and taking a drag. The nicotine hit my system, but even that didn't shake the thoughts of Leah out of my head.

"Man, screw you," Jason groaned, leaning back in his chair like he was about to pass out. "Why the hell are we even here?"

"Because we're idiots," I said flatly, taking another drag and blowing out the smoke. "Or at least, you two are. I'm just here for the entertainment."

"Moral support, huh?" Max muttered, snatching the lighter back from me. "You've been out of it since you got here. What's going on? Girl trouble?"

I scoffed, trying to keep my cool. "Nah, just tired."

"Tired of thinking about Leah," Jason smirked, finally waking up enough to join in on the teasing.

"Shut up," I snapped, but I could feel my face heating up. There was no way I was going to admit they were right, even if they knew me too well.

"You're so whipped," Max laughed, shaking his head. "And she's, what, 34? Dude, you've got issues."

"Says the guy who's in here for groping a teacher," I shot back, trying to deflect. But no matter how much I tried to focus on anything else, Leah kept creeping back into my thoughts.