Chapter One

When I wake up, my bed is cold.  My fingers stretch out, seeking any possible warmth, but finding only more coldness of the rough canvas cover of the mattress.

It had been a particularly cold September, here in Toyland. Strikes were forming at the factory because people didn’t want to go out in the cold to work; the weather here is most always warm. Citizens seem to rather want to stay buddle up in their warm little cottages. The streets were pretty much deserted, and so was the factory. It was quite a large factory; most people in Toyland worked here.

If you’re wondering why our little Kingdom is called Toyland, it’s because it’s where all the toys for the world are made. Workers make all kinds of toys; from books, balls, and bicycles, to puzzles, teddy bears, and more. The factory is located right under the castle me, and my family live; the heart of Toyland.  

They’re not my real family though.  The king adopted me when I was a baby, claiming I had shown up at his doorstep as a lost child.  We don’t look anything alike. The King has skin as pale as a ghost, while mine is much darker, without being the opposite. His skin is rough and wrinkled, while mine is smooth with no imperfections; like perfect porcelain. Maybe that’s where my name came from.  Also like Porcelain, is my personality, or that’s how I would describe it anyway.

The King could never tell me anything about my real family, so I just day dream about them every chance I get.  What were they like?  Did they love?  Why would they abandon me?  Are they still alive?

I clear the thoughts from my head and prop myself up on one elbow.  There is just enough light in the room to see the tiny box sitting on my dresser.  Today is October 8th. It must be a gift from someone for my 27th birthday, today.  I swing my legs off the bed and slide into my soft, fuzzy slippers.  Unfortunately, they are cold too.  I take a few steps over to my dresser and look at the tag on the box.  It reads, in careful handwriting, “To my Perfect Porcelain, from your father.”

He always calls himself my father, and has been trying for years to get me to call him my father, but I never will; Even though I never knew my real father, it just seems wrong.  I gently open the beautifully carved wooden box, to reveal a small key on a chain, like a pendant on a necklace. I hold it ever so lightly in my hand to look at it.  The top of the key is in the shape of a heart, and written on the back, are the words, "May we forever have our hearts." I think about that quote for a second, while securing the necklace around my neck.  Then I step back to look in the cracked mirror that leaned against the wall.  Somehow, the gift made me look older, and I am, yesterday I was 26, today, 27.

The king used to read me all sorts of books when I was a young girl. Books about Princesses like me, who are going to be Queens of their kingdoms. The Princess never wanted to, they had other plans usually.  For me, ruling the Kingdom of Toyland is my only plan.  I can't wait to turn 30, when I'll be able to rule. I'm ready.  The King has taught me many things over the years, even taught me how to fight. You can’t imagine what I can do. Sometimes it's strange though.

Once, at breakfast, I got incredibly dizzy and when I closed my eyes, I witnessed images that ended up becoming a reality. It was like a glimpse into the future. That's not normal! There have been other occurrences too, but that's the only one I can think of.  It's almost as if I have some kind of magic power within me.  The king never spoke of anything like that to me.  There still could be a possibility that my real family had some sort of magic. 

Again, I clear thoughts from my past out of my head.  I want to think about the present.  I don't even bother getting dressed.  I just pull my hair out of its pony tail and head downstairs, hoping to get some chocolate biscuits for breakfast. The chef makes wonderfully delicious biscuits. When I reach the bottom few steps, my back is pressed up against the wall and I peer around the corner.  Across the room, back to me, face looking out the window, stands a tall girl with pale skin and long black hair. Carolina.

Carolina moved to Toyland only recently. It was a Sunday afternoon and Prince Gossamer was taking me to my training.  Usually the King is the one who takes me and trains me, but he had far more important duties to attend to that day so my uncle had to fill in.  After an hour of horseback riding, he said had to make a phone call quickly, so I sat down on a bench and read a book.  When Gossamer was finished on the phone, he made his way from the Vibrant red booth, back across the street, when he bumped into Carolina.  It must have been love at first sight.  I could tell by the way they stopped in their tracks and looked at each other.  What I couldn't believe was that Gossamer actually cancelled the rest of training for the day and took Carolina home and left me there on the bench.  It's not like I cared much, but I wasn't usually allowed to be on my own. The King always kept careful watch over me since I was to be the future Queen of Toyland, he didn't want anything to happen to me.  He could be a little overprotective sometimes.

Coming back from the flashback, I notice Gossamer had walked into the room. He put his arms around Carolina’s waist and whispered something in her ear. She giggled and turned to face him, and then they started making out. Wanting to throw up, I quickly scurried into the kitchen. The kitchens help all stop what they’re doing and stare at me. I wave my hand in a signal to them to ignore me as I make my way towards the best smell of all. The chef’s freshly baked chocolate biscuits sitting on a pan on the table in front of the oven.

“Would you like some, Porcelain?” Chef Olive asked me. Olive is only her nickname cause of her smooth olive toned skin. I don’t know her real name. She used to baby sit me during my first young years of being in Toyland and she’s gotten to know me very well. Accepting her offer, I take a biscuit off the pan, wincing at the heat. They were fresh baked, straight from the oven.  Since she was a toy, Chef Olive could hold the tray without feeling it for a while. She put the rest of the biscuits onto a holding tray and began scooping dough onto the pan for a second batch.

On my way back to my room, I pass my uncle’s room. I hear a moan. Curiously, I peek in; my hands up ready in case I need to avert my eyes.  My uncle was alone, sitting on his bedside, but he looked in pain, so I went over to him.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“My heart is breaking,” he moaned. “She’s gone.”

“Who’s gone? Carolina?” I asked hopeful. He nodded. “Is she gone for good? Did you break up?”

“No, she’s just gone to talk to your father,” he said. “I can’t stand to be without her. The only reason I didn’t go with her is because she asked me not to follow her.” He was wailing now. I sat down beside him at tried to comfort him. He never acted this way before. He was always strong like my father, yet quiet and reserved. What on earth was happening?

Even The King has begun to act strangely. I barely ever see him anymore. Most of the time, he’s holed up in his tower, and when he isn’t in his room, he’s always practicing or wandering around the castle, muttering to himself. He’s given up with my lessons. He no longer teaches me to ride horses. I could do it myself, but it’s far too boring and gives me less time to think. Sometimes I like to go for walks or just sit and think; mostly about my family. Anyway, I can’t ask my uncle to train me. He used to help the King train me until he met this Carolina. 

I leave Gossamer lying on the floor, and return to my room. He wanted to be alone, and it's probably for the best. I lay down on my bed and fall into a deep sleep