Chapter Sixteen: Punishment is Proper For The Guilty

Lucia walked in holding a blade by the blade with a cloth around it. Winston was next to her as he dragged a unwilling assassin through the doors by the collar of their shirt, his feet were dragged as well. As Lucia handed the cloth-wrapped blade to Igris, she hesitated for a moment before unwrapping a small portion of the hilt. Beneath the stained cloth, the intricate design of a noble's crest gleamed faintly in the dim light-a coiled serpent wrapped around a pair of crossed swords. The symbol was unmistakable. Abel sat there in awe seeing Lucia act like a female lead.

"Your Majesty," Lucia asked, pointing to the crest, "Isn't this the emblem of Viscount Fildia's household right? The craftsmanship is unique to his lineage's weaponsmiths. There's only so many knives like that right?"

"That is correct, this indeed the emblem," Igris stated.

A murmur rippled through the gathered nobles and soldiers. The revelation solidified the evidence, leaving no room for doubt.

Igris's eyes narrowed as he inspected the crest. "So even their weapons carry their betrayal openly," he muttered coldly. "It's as if they've grown arrogant enough to believe they were untouchable."

"They've really thought about this," Abel thought.
Viscount Fildia's face drained of color. "This is a setup! Anyone could forge a crest like that-"

"Enough with your pathetic denials," Halzel interjected, his voice dripping with disdain. "The crest's authenticity is not in question. We've had it verified by experts. The blade was clearly intended to carry out the assassination of Duke Belfast and his daughter."

"Your highness, as the evidence my daughter presented is quite harmful please place it back in the cloth. It contains a harmful poison that even holy magic would have a hard time curing. It's the same as shaking hands with death," Nicholas stated. "Also, this solidly proves the fact that the Fildia Viscount estate has been spying on higher noble families in order to bring down the allies of your Majesty."
Igris wrapped the knife back in the cloth and he snapped his finger. A imperial mage walked over to him.
"Yes your majesty," they said before kneeling and holding their hands.
"Study this poison to find a cure quickly," Igris said.
"As you command my liege," he shouted before receiving the blade and teleporting away.
"Now then."

"Is there any reason to continue this farce surely you do not believe the lies of these upper nobles, your majesty my greatest honor is to serve this kingdom and you why would I ever try to betray you," Baron Velsina shouted.

"Enough of your pointless interjections, you were cooperating to seize the throne through ill means, even if that means killing children," Klein shouted.
Igris held up his right hand and everyone kneeled to him.
"The Emperor is really something to stop the argument with a wave a hand, he's quite the authority and is the rightful emperor of this empire," Nicholas thought.

Igris tapped his fingers against the armrest of his throne, each tap echoing the weight of judgment. "You've sealed your fate all of you. This crest is just another nail in your coffin. The evidence of meeting together even before today you colluded with assassins and attempted to destroy the Belfast duchy even though it was a predictable idea. If you're wondering why your plan fell apart it's simple, both my son's adore Duke Duranne little boy Abel, they're like brothers, and for you to try to assassinate the children of my childhood friends, that shall not be forgiven."
He used mana to form a gavel.
"The defendants, Baron Velsina, Baron Militina, and Viscount Fildia, shall be found guilty of treasons,  attempted child abduction, attempted murder of a noble, defamation of a noble, attempted seizure of the throne, and colluding with illegal activities involving the transfer of legal drugs. There are more charges, but I don't think you need to know anymore. The nobles shall be stricken of their rank and are now commoners. They will be hanged for their crimes over fire to suffer until death does them part, case dismiss, " Igris stated as he slammed it making a sound that echoed through the room.