Three

Fiona

AN: 17 years ago (Age 9).

Unlike the other non-legacy kids in the youth training program, I don't live at the agency's orphanage. My mentor wanted to "raise" me himself after finding me. Only his idea of raising me involves only speaking to me when it is time to do extra training or extra school lessons. My classmates who are orphans as well say I'm lucky because I've got a "father" but they're wrong. He's not my father, he's just a mentor.

My mentor has told me from day one that attachments make you weak. He's right. I've seen myself how feelings can get an agent killed. It's one of the reasons I don't plan on ever making another connection. The more people you love the more chances you have to get hurt. That's why I listen to him when he tells me not to befriend the other kids in my general training program. Even getting too attached to other agents is a risk. Whether we are feild agents or gadget makers we are workers with one job: complete your mission. He believes it's a waste to settle down with agents if you don't plan to retire. I agree.

It's pretty easy to cut myself off from the other kids. They tried to talk to me when I first got there but after 3 years of ignoring them they've finally got the hint.  They leave me alone unless we're forced to pair up for class assignments or sparring. Even then they barely talk to me during it. I still hear what they say about me behind my back though. They call me stuck up and cold. When I walked into class today I heard Jaime say "here comes the Snow Queen." As far as mean nicknames go it's not the worst or the most clever. Still, being isolated and ostracized hurts sometimes. I try not to let it get to me. I wanted it to be that way after all

My mentor says I'll grow out of caring about what others think of me. When I do, I'll finally have let go of all my attachments and feelings. I'm working hard to get there.

Today was a classroom day so when I was dropped off at Rex I went to normal people school. Well sort of. On class days we learn math, English, history, foreign language, and art/music. My teacher at Rex says we learn the same subjects as other kids just more in depth. We do it to make us good agents.

My classmates hate school days but I love them. I already find the training days easy because of my mentor so it's fun doing something new. Math is my favorite. It's factual and dependable. I love how it always works out. The homework is fun too because it's like a game for me. Trying to see how fast I can find the answer. My mentor doesn't let me have games or toys because he thinks it's a useless distraction.

I mainly read books. Ones my mentor calls "the classics" or historical works. I don't mind those genres but I like other ones too. I stole one of my classmates books. He left it in the English room for weeks so it's not like he cares about it. It's called A Wrinkle in Time. I can't believe he didn't get past chapter 2. This book is so good. It's nice to read fantasy for once. I have to hide it because it's not an assigned work. My mentor will say it's a waste of time if it doesn't further your education. I think it does but he doesn't like many book genres so he doesn't get it.

My mentor calls out to me to get ready for our school lessons. Just like we did in class I will learn more about the civil war, 3D shapes, photosynthesis, Spanish verbs, and Robert Louis Stevenson. He likes to go even more in depth than my teachers at Rex already do. Every time I get distracted or mess up during his private lessons he makes me run a lap around the yard with a weighted vest. When I answered the area problem wrong: Lap. Forgetting how to conjugate tener: Lap. Not being ready for the pop quiz on war generals: Lap. My mentor says exercising the mind and the body together is the most efficient thing to do.