Summertime Sadness

The boys were sitting in the tent next to us, so close. I could hear their deep tones muttering something but couldn’t catch the words.

Southfields festival wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. It was supposed to be a small, family festival in early July. The only correct thing in that description was that it was in July. In truth, it was tiny, only about 80 people, most of whom were drunken 40something year olds; and it definitely couldn’t be classed as a festival, as the only music I had heard all day was that from my iPod. Still, I was sitting in a stuffy tent pod playing ‘Truth or Truhoooth’ with Jess, who had invited me to come along with her.

“Ramona!” Jess barked. I snapped back to reality and jerked my head to look at her.

 “What?” I asked. Probably she had asked some stupid truth or Truhoooth question that I had completely blanked.

“I asked you if you would rather kiss Ben or sleep with Connor!” she replied sniffily. Connor and Ben were the only two boys we knew. Jess was also completely infatuated with Connor. I sighed and wound my fingers round the bracelet on my wrist.

“Erm, the first one!” I answered distractedly, not really looking at her. Jess giggled and I couldn’t work out what I had said. Instead of trying to I stared blankly at the canvas of the tent that was illuminated by the evening.

“We can go out and talk to them?” Jess volunteered softly, obviously reading my mind. Not really knowing what I was doing I nodded slowly and got up slowly, making sure not to deflate the airbed we had been sitting on.

“I know you like him.” She said simply.

“No, I don’t.” I countered and walked decidedly out of the pod. Jess caught my arm and spun me round to look at her and caught my sarcastic look. I wasn’t one for touchy-feely girl talk; that’s why I sucked at Truth or Truhoooth.

“Whatever. Well he’s going out with Nancy so it doesn’t matter I guess. She’s actually really nice, you’d like her!” I looked at Jess with an expression of disgust on my face.

“1, I couldn’t like someone like him, and 2 if you like Nancy so much then go and play your stupid truth or Truhoooth with her!” I snapped vehemently. Jess looked taken aback and dropped my arm.

“Fine!” she sniffed “But I don’t want to! You’re my best friend Mona!” and she grabbed my hand to hold it. I grimaced but permitted it.

I didn’t know why I was being so moody. I think it’s because Jess and I planned so much for this weekend and events had ruined that. By events I mean the boys. They wouldn’t even talk to us and Ben had brought his new girlfriend Nancy along at the last minute. It wasn’t that I liked Ben; I mean I used to, but now I was over him completely and was super happy from him and his girlfriend, but I couldn’t bring myself to properly talk to him. That didn’t explain why I couldn’t quite bring myself to be nice to Nancy; little, simpering, bullied, pretty, blonde, Nancy. The problem was also how hostile I was towards Ben and the fact he always acted like a dick around Connor because, for some unknown reason, he wanted to impress him.

Outside the tent the sun was setting and to the west I could see the big sliver caravan that the parents, well Jess and Ben’s mums, were sitting. Behind our tent was a forest with fairy lights strung in the trees and small stalls selling out-dated records. I had blown all my money at those stalls. Most importantly however, was the boy’s tent, which was a few yards in front out ours. We walked over to the tent and were about to knock on the soft canvas when we heard their conversation.

 “So would you do Lisa?” we heard Connor ask Ben in a hushed voice. Ben didn’t even hesitate.

“Yeah! She’s fit! You?” Lisa Murdow was Connor’s super bitch ex-girlfriend. She had a fake personality to match her fake everything else!