Chapter 5. Homecoming

The drive from Metro Manila to Marilao, Bulacan, was long and punctuated by the persistent drumming of rain on the car roof. Tala leaned her head against the window, watching the landscape blur by, her thoughts a mix of relief and anticipation. Marilao, a bustling town known for its blend of urban and rural charm, lay just north of the capital, offering a respite from the city's relentless pace. The familiar sights of her hometown filled her with a sense of comfort she hadn't realized she missed so much.

As they pulled into the driveway of their family home, Tala's younger sister, Liway, came running out to greet them. Liway, short for Liwanag, was only a year younger than Tala and was studying premed biology at the University of Sto. Tomas, one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the Philippines. Both sisters were on summer break, a rare opportunity for them to spend quality time together.

"Tala!" Liway shouted, her voice cutting through the rain. She dashed to the car, her long, dark hair streaming behind her. "Welcome home, Ate!"

Tala stepped out of the car and was immediately enveloped in a warm hug. "Liway! I've missed you!" Tala exclaimed, her heart swelling with affection for her spirited sister.

Liway pulled back, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "I can't believe you're finally home! I have so much to tell you."

Tala laughed, feeling the weight of her first year in medical school begin to lift. "I can't wait to hear all about it. But first, let's get these boxes inside before we get soaked."

As they began to unload the car, Tino, their helper who had been with the family for years, came out to help. "Welcome home, Tala!" Tino greeted her warmly, his smile as bright as his rainbow-colored apron. "I've prepared some snacks for you all."

"Thank you, Tino," Tala said, giving him a quick hug. "It's so good to be back."

With the help of their parents and Tino, Tala and Liway quickly transferred the boxes from the car to the house. Once everything was inside, they gathered in the living room, drying off and catching up.

The sisters' eyes lit up at the sight of their favorite Filipino delicacies. The puto, soft and fluffy steamed rice cakes, were topped with slices of salted egg and melted cheese, a perfect blend of sweet and savory. The cochinta, glistening with a golden-brown hue, were chewy rice cakes made with brown sugar and lye water, served with a generous sprinkling of grated coconut. The dinuguan, a rich and savory stew simmered to perfection, was a fragrant, velvety blend of pork blood, tender offal, and aromatic spices, its deep, dark color a striking contrast to the pristine white rice cakes.

As they settled in, Liway began to chatter excitedly about her school, her friends, and the latest happenings at the University of Sto. Tomas. Tala listened, savoring the normalcy of home life and the joy in her sister's voice.

"Did you hear about the new family that moved in down the street?" Liway asked, her eyes wide with curiosity. "They're from Cebu, and they have a son who's about your age, Ate. He's really quiet, but I think you'd like him."

Tala smiled, amused by her sister's enthusiasm. "I'll have to meet him sometime. But first, tell me more about you. How's school been?"

Liway launched into a detailed account of her school year, her zest for life evident in every word. Tala felt a deep sense of gratitude for her family and the love that bound them together.

As the sisters chatted, the family's pets made their presence known. Lyle, a hybrid Great Dane, bounded into the room and immediately laid his head on Tala's lap, looking up at her with soulful eyes, clearly begging for food. Yodie, a short hybrid brown German Shepherd mix with ears so big he was named after Star Wars' Yoda, followed closely behind, his tail wagging furiously.