Chapter IX: Prelude n' Peril

"Hmm, does it look too normal?" Peter said, his head tilted at an angle staring into the corner of his room. His disguise hung off a wire hanger, it was a red jacket with black linings just under the pits, and a black pair of jeans to match. Harry had given it to him as a gift of sorts and even had a little spider engraved just above its left breast pocket—not that it had one.

It had been a little over a week since the two had come up with a halfway solid plan, and a bit over two since they escaped Marsdale. Tonight was the night, where they'd attempt to execute this plan.

Now—as for the plan it was quite simple. Harry would pay a fighter to take the dive while placing a majority of his bet on Peter. Now as for Peter, he needs to pretend to be a total novice—and to his credit, he was.

The plan admittedly was a bit rushed and relied a bit too much on external forces, more than Peter would have liked. But The Pit, had one major flaw if exploited in the right way could create the opening needed for Harry to get his money back. It was the "semi-live betting system," the bets would only be active for a moment, and Peter would need to convince the crowd to bet on his opponent. Once the betting odds are against him and locked in, Peter would "struggle" and win against his opponent.

The only loose variables were the crowd, the organizers, and Manslaughter Marsdale. There'd have to be nuance, too large of a bet would arouse suspicion—why would someone place such a losing bet? More so would a nobody somehow manage to win, after seeming like a total novice.

The safer option would just be to take the dive himself and place a clear winning bet on the opponent. The downside to this would be the smaller earnings and the chance for Peter to be barred.

Peter would be getting in on word of mouth and recommendation, Harry had been quite the spender and he would be stepping in as Peter's sponsor. This place was no joke, so if Peter didn't at least put up a show he'd be barred for sure—and they could kiss any chance at regaining Harry's money goodbye.

He was told that he'd be in a normal fight—whatever that meant. The Pit held a special fighting event regularly for mutants, but Harry reassured Peter he'd be fighting some nobody he bought off.

Speaking of Harry's money, apparently, the man had lost a substantial amount in his little escapade; so much so that it would make his multibillionaire father quite upset, a loss so substantial that it could strick a cord with the Osbron reputation. That's all Harry would say.

Now as for the Venue, it was called The Pit. The Pit operated on a subset of interchanging venues—meaning it relocates regularly. It does so to avoid unwanted attention, it helps it stay under the radar of authorities and those who might disrupt its activities.

It operates in a way that disguises its true nature. On any given day it is hidden behind what appears to be an ordinary establishment. For instance, tonight it would be located near a fish market by Hell's Kitchen, which is linked to a dry cleaner behind a bar.

Despite the unassuming appearance, these locations are often equipped with advanced security measures, and numerous surveillance cameras, to ensure the venue remains secure.

The process of vetting guests is rigorous, anyone with even a slight connection to law enforcement is strictly barred from attending, and those who invited them are also excluded; because to gain entry to The Pit, individuals rely on word of mouth.

Extreme measures are in place to prevent any leaks or exposure, in severe cases, this could include violent actions—stalking, threats, intimidation, and more sure methods to ensure and protect the operation's secrecy.