Chapter 3

When Amanda entered the classroom, it was completely empty, not even her teacher was present. The first bell had not rung, and kids were still talking to their friends about how their summers were.

Amanda decided to take a seat in the middle. She didn't want to be in the front, answering all the questions, and she didn't want to be in the back, not saying anything at all.

Her teacher arrived just as the first bell rang. She had a cup of coffee in her hand and looked startled to see Amanda sitting in the desk.

"Hello, I'm Mrs. Archer. What's your name?" she asked picking up her attendance sheet.

"Amanda King," Amanda squeaked out.

"Ah, the Freshman," she nodded.

"That's me," Amanda sighed.

More students came through the door, all sitting down around Amanda. Meanwhile, Amanda watched the minute hand on the clock closely, hoping the day would end quickly.

The second bell rang signaling the start of first period, the actual beginning of Amanda's nightmare. Mrs. Archer began her official introduction to the class when the door suddenly swung open.

"You're late," Mrs. Archer scolded tapping her foot.

"Sorry, Mrs. A, I uh... got lost," he chuckled.

Amanda watched out of the corner of her eye as David walked towards her. He sat down in the seat directly behind her, while other students laughed at his comment.

"Well, as I was saying before I was interrupted," she said looking straight at David, who responded with a slight nod and a wave, "I'm passing back a sheet of paper. Read it over... I have to make more copies for my other classes so I will be right back."

A stack of worksheets titled 'Class Expectations' landed on Amanda's desk. She took this opportunity to get an up close look at David. She turned in her desk, looked directly into David's eyes, smiled, and handed him the stack of papers.

He took them, and muttered a quick "thank you" with a half smile. Oh God, he must think I'm weird now, Amanda thought quickly turning back around.

"You new?" David said.

"Yeah," Amanda smiled turning back towards him.

"What's your name?"

"Amanda."

"Okay, Amanda. I'm David."

"Okay, David," she mocked.

"So what do you think of the school so far."

"Different. Pretty big."

"Yeah, it can definitely be confusing for new kids."

"Were you a new kid?" she asked hopeful.

"Nah," he laughed, "Lived here my whole life. Here, let me see your schedule."

Amanda took the folded piece of paper out of her pocket and handed it to David. She watched as his blue-green eyes skimmed the crumpled paper.

"Okay, so I'll give you the run down. You have Bio next period with Mrs. Hawley, which is good because I have that too, so I can walk you there. Mrs. Hawley is probably going to seem nice on the first day but she's kind of insane. She doesn't teach that well and you should expect some pop quizzes every now and then."