Chapter 8: Between the Lines

It’s funny how life can change in the blink of an eye. One moment, you’re just trying to get through the day without losing your sanity, and the next, you’re sitting across from a guy who makes your heart race in ways you’ve never felt before. That’s where I find myself now—with Alex.

We’re sitting at a cozy little café just outside campus. It’s one of those places na hindi masyadong dinadayo ng mga students kaya tahimik. The kind of place where you can actually hear yourself think, or in this case, hear the steady beat of my heart as I sneak glances at Alex across the table.

“Are you sure you’re okay with this place?” he asks, leaning forward slightly, his eyes searching mine.

I nod, taking a sip from my iced coffee. “Yeah, it’s nice. I like it. Hindi masyadong matao.”

He smiles, visibly relieved. “Good. I wanted to bring you somewhere na hindi masyadong crowded, where we could just… talk.”

Talk. The word feels loaded, like there’s so much more he wants to say but is holding back. I’m doing the same, to be honest. Every time I feel the urge to open up, to tell him what’s really on my mind, something holds me back. But despite that, there’s a part of me that’s starting to enjoy this—this getting to know each other in small, tentative steps.

“So, how was your day?” he asks, breaking the silence.

“It was okay,” I reply, twirling the straw in my drink. “A bit hectic, pero manageable naman. How about you?”

“Pretty much the same,” he says, his smile turning a little sheepish. “Though, I’ve been looking forward to this all day.”

My heart skips a beat at his admission, but I try to play it cool. “Really? Lunch with me is the highlight of your day?”

“Of course,” he says without hesitation. “Why wouldn’t it be?”

I laugh softly, shaking my head. “You’re too smooth, Alex.”

He grins, clearly pleased with himself. “Is it working?”

“Maybe,” I reply, meeting his gaze for a moment before looking away, feeling my cheeks heat up.

The conversation flows easily after that. We talk about everything and nothing—the latest gossip around school, our plans for the weekend, our favorite movies. It’s light and casual, and I find myself relaxing more with each passing minute.

---

After lunch, we walk back to campus, and somehow, the conversation turns to our classes. Alex mentions something about struggling with his criminal procedure, and before I know it, we’re sitting under a tree in one of the quieter corners of the campus, with his math book open in front of us.

“This is actually helpful,” he admits after I explain a particularly tricky problem. “You should be a tutor.”

“Noted,” I say, smiling. “Maybe I’ll consider it as a side hustle.”

He chuckles. “I’d be your first client.”

As we work through the problems, I catch myself glancing at him more often than I probably should. There’s something about the way he concentrates, the way his brow furrows slightly when he’s deep in thought, that I find endearing. And then there’s the way he looks at me whenever I explain something—like he’s really listening, really interested in what I have to say.

“You know,” he says suddenly, looking up from the book. “I’m really glad we’re doing this.”

“Investigate?” I ask, raising an eyebrow. “Wow, I must be a really good teacher.”