Chapter 1: The Monster Book Of Monsters

In many respects, Y/N and Harry Potter were exceptionally unique boys. They detested summer holidays beyond all other times of the year to start. For another reason, they were compelled to complete their assignments in secret during the dead of night. Moreover, they were wizards.

It was almost midnight when they lay in their beds with their blankets pulled over their heads like tents, big leather-bound books (Bathilda Bagshot's A History Of Magic) open against their pillows, and torches in their hands. Occasionally, they would poke their heads out from under the sheets and whisper questions and answers about the homework to each other. Y/N scowled as he searched his mind and the book for something to write in his essay. He already asked Harry, but he was seemingly doing worse than him. He slid the tip of his eagle-feather quill down the page, searching for something that could relate to, 'Witch Burning in the Fourteenth Century Was Comepletely Pointless - discuss.'

At the beginning of a paragraph that seemed likely, the quill paused. After bringing his torch closer to the book and pushing his glasses up his nose, Y/N read:

Non-magic people (more commonly known as Muggles) were particularly afraid of magic in medieval times, but not very good at recognising it. On the rare occasion that they did catch a real witch or wizard, burning had no effect whatsoever. The witch or wizard would perform a basic Flame-Freezing Charm and then pretend to shriek with pain while enjoying a gentle, tickling sensation. Indeed, Wendelin the Weird enjoyed being burnt so much that she allowed herself to be caught no fewer than forty-seven times in various disguises.

Y/N grabbed a roll of parchment and an ink bottle from beneath his pillow, holding his quill between his teeth. With great care and slowness, he unscrewed the ink bottle, dipped his quill into it, and started writing. He occasionally stopped to listen, fearing that if any of the Dursleys heard quills scratching on their way to the toilet, they would likely end up stuck in the cupboard under the stairs for the entire summer. He paused several times, mistaking noises from Harry's bed as the Dursleys moving.

Harry and Y/N never had a fun summer break because of the Dursley family of number four, Privet Drive. The only living relatives of Y/N and Harry were Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and their son, Dudley. Their view of magic was quite medieval, and they were Muggles. Under the Dursleys' roof, Harry and Y/N's deceased parents - who had also been witches and wizards - were never discussed. For a long while, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had harboured the hope that by keeping Harry and Y/N as oppressed as possible, they could eventually eradicate their magic. They were devastated that they had failed and now lived in constant fear of someone discovering that Harry and Y/N had attended Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry for the majority of the previous two years. These days, the most the Dursleys could manage was to keep Harry and Y/N's broomstick, cauldrons, wands, and spellbooks tucked away at the beginning of summer holiday and to prevent them from talking to their neighbours.

Since their Hogwarts professors had assigned them a tonne of holiday homework, Harry and Y/N had found this separation from their spellbooks to be a major issue. One of the essays was assigned by Professor Snape, Harry and Y/N's least favourite teacher, who would be happy to have a reason to put Harry and Y/N in detention for a month. It was an especially unpleasant essay about Shrinking Potions. So, in the first week of the holidays, Harry and Y/N had jumped at the chance. As Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley went out into the front garden to gaily praise Uncle Vernon's new company car - hoping that passersby would take notice - Harry and Y/N had secretly slipped downstairs, unlocked the cupboard beneath the stairs, retrieved a few of their books, and hid them in their bedroom. The Dursleys wouldn't have to know that they were studying magic at night as long as they didn't leave ink stains on the bedding.