Chapter XV

Mary became more frustrated by the day. It had been a week since she transferred to Hyakkaou, and despite her best efforts, she hadn't managed to make a single friend. It wasn't like anyone could make fun of her—she studied well, kept up appearances, and did everything right. But still, the isolation gnawed at her. It made her doubt herself, doubt her decision to come to this school.

Stupid gaijin, she thought, remembering the American who had somehow enslaved Tsuzura. She could've walked away with the girl's freedom and millions of yen, but instead she got nothing. Well, maybe not nothing—a bruised ego for sure.

But even then, she couldn't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe, he didn't deserve to be left with nothing. He was a foreigner in a school filled with the elite of Japan's oldest families. Unlike the rest of them, he didn't have a rich daddy's wallet to fall back on. Maybe he was an asshole, but was he really worth crushing completely?

Mary huffed, deciding she'd challenge him again. Just a million or two. Maybe win some back, but not leave him destitute. It felt almost... charitable.

She headed to the cafeteria and spotted him right away. He was sitting with Tsuzura looking nervous, her face flushed as she stared down at the table. They were playing some gambling game Mary couldn't quite see from her angle.

Gathering herself, Mary marched over trying to mask the nerves that suddenly came up. Why the hell was she nervous? She shook it off and cleared her throat, "You... American boy."

Y/N didn't even bother looking up. He raised a finger, his eyes still on Tsuzura. "Tsuzura, you were doing well. Why are you hesitating?"

Tsuzura squeaked, covering her face with both hands. "I-I'm getting nervous, Y/N-sama! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Her voice was muffled behind her hands and trembling with panic.

Y/N sighed annoyed. He finally glanced at Mary in pure exhaustion. "What do you want?"

Mary tried to calm herself to shake off the odd emotions she felt. "I'd like to—" She paused, gathering her courage. "I want to gamble."

Y/N gave her a bored look, "Sure, but... you don't look like much."

Mary bristled, her cheeks flushing slightly. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He held up that annoying finger again taking a slow sip of his tea. "I mean in money... You're a stunner in looks, so I don't mean that."

Mary huffed doing her best to ignore the heat rising to her face. "Don't underestimate me, American. Are we going to gamble or not?"

"Sure, how about one million?"

Mary flinched at the amount. "I... was hoping for... less?"

Y/N rolled his eyes and snorted again. "Fine. How about 500 yen and we hold hands while we're at it?"

She shot him a glare,. "I have only 100k yen."

He gave her a look that screamed disbelief. "Really? I was going to gamble my 15 million and Tsuzura's freedom for that meager amount?"

Mary scoffed again "That's what I've got. Take it or leave it."

Y/N sighed dramatically and waved her toward the seat across from him. "Fine, sit your ass down."

Mary took her seat and tried to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach.

Y/N glanced at Tsuzura still had her face buried in her hands, her cheeks peeking out from between her fingers. "Tsuzura, sweetheart, I'm playing with Saotome now."