2: Chaos

Lila stood, glued to the spot, her eyes gazing upon what would soon be the determining factor of whether she lived or died. She didn't know the future the falling golden streaks would bring to her, but deep within her soul, she could sense the danger that was about to arrive.

And it scared her.

Grandma was the one to drag Lila out of her spiraling thoughts. Although there was still an uncharacteristic fear in her eyes, they were now simultaneously filled with determination. "We have to go," she stated.

Lila realized that her hands were shaking from fear. "What's happening?"

Grandma halted. Her hands were clasped around Elle and Louise's wrists. She shook her head at her eldest granddaughter, but the look in her eyes was enough to get her message across. Now wasn't the time to ask questions. She needed Lila to focus for her. For all of them.

They exited the sushi shop and ran to the car. As Grandma sped down the road at an alarming rate, she spoke to her 3 grandchildren in a serious tone. "Your father didn't say much when he called, but what he did tell me is that we're going to have to hide away for a while and keep quiet, okay?"

Louise let out a whimper. "Grghandma, I'm scarghed."

Grandma turned and gave him a small, comforting smile that momentarily shone through the fear on her face. "We all are, honey. But I need you to stay brave for me, okay? I love you all, and no matter what happens, I promise, I am going to keep you safe. You hear that? I will keep you safe."

Lila peered out the car window at the golden streaks that were coming ever closer to earth. Some had already touched down on the distant New York horizon. Others were nearing the ground with every second. She repeated Grandma's words over in her head as that horrible feeling of anxiety continued to fill her heart.

They were going to be safe. They were going to be safe. They were going to--

-- Gunshots broke the silence that Lila had filled with her thoughts. The sounds were far away, but they were signs that the conflict from the sky had arrived.

Grandma's foot pushed harder on the gas. The sudden increase in speed pressed Lila back against her seat.

They turned onto a busier road. Cars were everywhere; honking, stopping, and trying to pull past each other. It was chaos.

Grandma slowed, her eyebrows coming together with worry. They sat, stuck, for several moments.

Elle, who had been uncharacteristically quiet, broke the silence. "I think ve are going to 'ave to walk, Grghandma."

Grandma paused, then nodded in defeat. "Get your bikes."

They pulled off and exited the car. Elle and Louise boarded their bikes and looked back at Grandma with uncertainty.

She shooed them off with her hand. "Go on. You know the way. Lock the door when you get there, and don't make a sound. Whatever happens, stay together and stay safe."

They nodded and biked off. As opposed to pedaling away from Adrian and his buffoons earlier, now, they were pedaling away from the terrifying unknown. Lila much preferred the buffoons to this. The plaguing fear of not knowing what was coming was going to drive her insane.

She looked over at Grandma, tensely waiting for instructions.

Grandma gazed gravely upon her granddaughter. "We're going to have to run home, Lila. I know some shortcuts. Come on."