chapter -2-

I needed a distraction—anything to take my mind off the nightmare my life had become. I grabbed my phone and started scrolling through videos, the screen glowing in the dim light of the room.

But the more I scrolled, the more the videos seemed to reflect exactly what I was going through. Some were motivational, urging me to keep fighting, to stay strong. Others were brutally honest about the harsh realities of life, reminding me just how alone I really was.

I stayed up late, unable to sleep after the day I'd had. I knew I had school in the morning, but the thought of facing another day there, pretending like everything was normal, felt impossible. Maybe I wouldn't go. Maybe I'd just stay in bed and let the world move on without me.

But eventually, I set an alarm, knowing that skipping school would only make things worse. I closed my eyes, hoping for just a few hours of sleep before the alarm went off. But no sooner had I drifted off than my phone started ringing. I glanced at the clock—it had only been two hours.

 I dragged myself to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and applied some cologne—just like my mother always wanted. She used to say that looking your best was a way of showing respect to yourself and others, even when you didn't feel like it. So I made sure I looked as polished as ever, even if it was just a mask for everything I was hiding underneath.

I headed downstairs to find Wilson waiting by the car. "Good morning," I said, trying to muster up a smile.

"Good morning, young sir," Wilson replied, his warm smile genuine. "I'm glad to see you looking so fresh today."

I nodded, appreciating his kindness more than I could express. As I climbed into the backseat, I glanced out the window and spotted my three step-siblings. They were dressed in cheap, mismatched streetwear, looking like they belonged anywhere but in our fancy neighborhood. The sight of them climbing into a beat-up car made my stomach turn. They didn't belong here—not in this house, not in my life.

The ride to school was short, but it felt like a lifetime. When we arrived, Wilson got out to open the door for me, and I stepped out, catching the stares of everyone around. Their eyes followed me as I walked, and I could feel their curiosity, their judgment. 

They saw the fancy car, the expensive clothes, and they thought they knew me. They thought I had it all.

But they didn't know what it was like to live in that house, to have everything that mattered ripped away. Sure, they knew about my tears—how I couldn't control them, how they came without warning.

 I'd even overheard someone once say that they'd trade places with me in a heartbeat, that they'd gladly take my tears if it meant being born rich. They didn't understand how wrong they were.

As I walked through the school gates, a familiar voice called out to me. "Will!" I turned to see Sarah, one of the most popular girls at school, striding towards me. 

She was the kind of girl everyone wanted to be around—beautiful, confident, and effortlessly charming. "I'm really sorry about your mom," she said, her voice softer than usual. "I wanted to talk to you sooner, but... you know how things are."

I nodded, forcing a small smile. "Thank you," I said, keeping my tone polite but distant. I had no interest in continuing the conversation. Sarah might have meant well, but her sympathy felt hollow. She was part of a world that didn't understand mine, and I wasn't in the mood to pretend otherwise.

Without waiting for her to respond, I walked away, feeling her eyes on my back as I made my way to class. I didn't need her pity, and I certainly didn't need her friendship. All I wanted was to get through the day without breaking down.