Mr. Marker's Pumpkin

Appreciation Message:

Hey everyone! Thanks for joining me on this journey. I'm so grateful for each and every one of you who takes the time to read my story. Your support means the world to me, and it keeps me motivated to write. I hope you enjoy this!

Disclaimer:

This story is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. The views expressed in this story are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of any other individual or organization.

______________________________________

█▬█ alloween had arrived in Rashville village, with two days left until the big night. The streets were adorned with decorations, and the atmosphere was vibrant. Children laughed and played, their excitement palpable. Mrs. Gray, a resident known for her gossip and kindness, was handing out treats. A boy approached her, cheerfully saying, "Trick or treat!" Mrs. Gray smiled warmly. "How lovely children are nowadays," she replied, handing him a handful of candy. The boy thanked her and walked away with a grin. As Mrs. Gray watched him leave, she mused aloud,"I thought he was the child of Mr. Marker. How strange."

Moments later, a girl arrived at Mrs. Gray's door. She was without a basket, dressed in simple clothes, and struggled to speak clearly. "T-trick or treat!" she said. The dog beside Mrs. Gray barked loudly, causing the girl to flinch. Mrs. Gray, with a hint of condescension, said, "Oh dear, come in. You must be hungry. How could a parent let their child look like this?" The girl hesitated at the door, but Mrs. Gray's tone softened. "Don't worry, he's nice. His name is King," she said, pointing to the barking dog. Then the girl introduced herself as Lily, the daughter of Mr. Marker. "I suppose he's actually your father, no doubt," Mrs. Gray said with a laugh. Lily noticed a beautiful candle outside the door and asked, "What's that for, Mrs. Gray?" Mrs. Gray's expression turned somber. "Ahm...It's for my late husband, who passed away almost two years ago today," she explained. "Anyway, do you know me?" Lily nodded, her voice soft. "My father told me he's hungry and asked me to get him some food." Mrs. Gray's face twisted into a frown. "I heard he's such a lazy man." Lily's eyes filled with tears. "They say my father is lazy, but his not. He has a mental illness!" she cried out. Mrs. Gray looked taken aback. "Oh, I'm sorry, dear. I didn't mean to offend you. Come here, I'll give you a hug."

After their meal, Lily left with a basket filled with sweets and food for her father. On her way home, she wondered why the other kids seemed so cheerful despite the creepy decorations. Although some were unsettling, the children focused on the sweet taste of candies and chocolates. "I don't want chocolate; I want food for daddy," she said. They wore warm clothes to protect against the cold, and she glanced at her own outfit, feeling the difference. "The world is really unfair," she thought, "but at least I have the best daddy."

A boy suddenly ran toward her and confronted her directly. "Oh, so you're the one who came from my mother's house, looking for pity, you dirty girl!?" he shouted, grabbing at her basket. "Give that back!" Lily cried, clutching her basket tightly. "Mrs. Gray gave it to me for my father!"
Their struggle attracted the attention of a nearby man whose car had broken down. "Hey, don't hurt the little girl," he said, pulling the basket from the boy and handing it back to Lily. "Thank you, sir," Lily said gratefully. The man glanced at the basket and then at Lily. "What's inside it? Do you need help getting home?" he asked, but Lily shook her head. "I'm fine, thank you," she replied. As the man watched her walk away, he muttered to himself,  "Hmm... I think that girl is Mr. Marker's daughter. He's such a lazy man."