Chapter 15

Jessica put on a smile as she walked into Fever for Divas boutique. She'd been there for a couple of weeks now and had started to really like Marcel.

"Hola chica!" he greeted her with a big smile.

"Hey," she replied before he embraced her in a hug.

"You are looking fierce, as usual," he complimented her.

"Thanks. You're looking pretty good yourself," she replied.

"Oh, you know that's right," he said while snapping his fingers.

"Thanks again for getting me this job," she said as he followed her into the back of the store.

"If you thank me one more time," he teased.

"You don't know how grateful I am," she told him as she hung up her jacket.

The job was laid back and it paid well, which meant that she'd soon be out of Darren's house.

"I do, and it's not a problem. I'm just glad you didn't make me look bad."

"Never. But, do you know of any affordable apartments in the area?" she asked.

"Not really. I mean my place is a steal, but I'm subleasing so... But, you know, Nina might be able to help you out."

Just the mention of her name made Jessica sick to her stomach.

"She in real estate?" she asked.

"Yep. You should give her a call."

"I will."

Jessica followed Marcel back out front. The store was empty so they continued to chat.

"So, she's in real estate and her husband does what?" she asked, hoping she wasn't being too transparent.

Marcel chuckled.

"That bitter bitch wishes she did have husband," he replied. "But she's as single as a one dollar bill."

Jessica laughed.

"Why do I get the feeling you don't like her?" she asked.

"Because I don't."

"Why not?"

"I just never did. Something about her is off, I just can't put my finger on it."

Jessica was briefly happy to have someone in agreement about Nina, but she quickly remembered that Marcel had known Nina longer than he'd known her. After blabber mouth Nina had run her mouth to Darren she had to wonder if Marcel was just trying to get her to bad mouth Nina so that he could run and tell Nina about it later.

"She seems all right to me," she lied.

"You haven't known her long enough."

Jessica had more questions about Nina but had to pause the Q&A when a small group of women walked into the boutique.

"Good afternoon. Welcome to Fever for Divas, Divas,"

"Marcel greeted the potential customers.

The women laughed as they all returned his greeting. The women browsed but didn't buy any of the overpriced items, which was fine by Jessica. She wanted to get some more information on Nina.

"Can you write Nina's number down for me?" she asked, hoping that Marcel would volunteer more Nina related information.

"Sure thing. Just don't call her tonight," he told her as he jotted the phone number down on a piece of receipt paper.

"Why is that?"

"She claims to have some sugar daddy that she sees twice a week. Usually on Tuesday and Friday.

Jessica unconsciously frowned. Those were coincidentally the same days that Darren seemed to have to work late.

"Must be nice," she said, forcing up a giggle.

"He's probably some old, fat, blind guy," Marcel replied.