part 4: broken promises

As Yousif glanced out the window, he remembered the day he got mad at his father.

Flashback

Yousif was working on his assignment when the door opened, revealing his father."Hey, son," his father greeted as he sat down on the couch. "Where's your mum?""She went to my grandparents' house and took my sisters with her," Yousif replied.

"You know, my auntie came today from Tripoli.""Oh, right, I forgot about that," his father said, his voice tinged with fatigue. "Why didn't you go with them?""I dropped them off and said hello to my auntie, but I have a lot of stuff to do," Yousif explained."I see. You didn’t want to see Fatima, am I right?" his father asked, curiosity in his tone."I told you before, don’t mention her name in front of me!" Yousif snapped angrily, grabbing his things and heading upstairs.

His father watched him go, worry etched on his face. He knew Fatima was Yousif’s first love and that Yousif had once wanted to marry her. The whole family thought they were perfect for each other, but because Yousif was poor and lacked a house or a stable job, Fatima had accepted an engagement to a wealthier man, leaving Yousif heartbroken and struggling to move on with his life.

Upstairs in his bedroom, Yousif recalled the day he promised Fatima he would marry her."Finally, I'll have a job, sweetheart," Yousif said excitedly."What kind of job?" Fatima asked."The new grocery store is opening next week, and the owner offered me a position," he replied, his tone relaxed."How much is the salary? Is it good?" she asked."600," he answered. "I know it's not much, but after the business grows, he'll raise it. I’m sure of it.

""Yousif, you haven't made any moves for us since our engagement. It’s been two years. When are we getting married? I’m tired of waiting," she said, her voice laced with frustration."Honey, you know I’m struggling to find a job, and this is my final year of school. I need to focus on my studies, too. I just want you to wait for me a little longer. I promise I'll marry you, and everything will be just as you want," Yousif assured her."I hope so," Fatima replied softly.