7. Reunion

The kitchen was filled with the aroma of sizzling meat and freshly cooked vegetables. Aeri had insisted on making dinner, and after the surprise of finding her in my apartment, I was more than happy to let her take charge. The kitchen light cast a warm glow over the room, creating a cozy, inviting atmosphere.

"Riru, do you remember how we used to cook together?" Aeri called out from the stove, her voice light and cheerful. "I used to burn everything, and you'd laugh and say I was better at ordering takeout."

I chuckled, stirring the salad. "I remember. And I'd always end up doing the dishes because you'd somehow manage to get flour everywhere except where it was supposed to be."

She laughed, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Some things never change. But it feels so good to be back here with you. It's like no time has passed at all."

The table was set with a spread of delicious food: grilled chicken, roasted vegetables, and a colorful salad. Aeri had also brought along a few bottles of beer, which we cracked open as we settled down at the table.

"To us," Aeri said, raising her bottle. "To old friends and new beginnings."

I clinked my bottle against hers, feeling a wave of warmth and contentment. "To us," I agreed, taking a sip of the cold, refreshing beer. "It's been too long."

We started digging into the meal, savoring the flavors and the comfort of good food. After a few bites, Aeri set her fork down and looked at me with a curious expression.

"So, tell me everything," she said, her eyes full of eagerness. "What's been going on in your life? I want all the details."

I took a deep breath, feeling a mix of excitement and hesitation. "Well, a lot has happened, actually. I quit my old job. It was a difficult decision, but I was feeling unfulfilled. I've started working at Lumi Fashion Company now, as Mr. Jeon's assistant."

Aeri raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Lumi Fashion Company? That's a huge deal, Riru. Mr. Jeon is known for being extremely demanding. How's that going?"

"It's challenging, to say the least," I admitted, feeling a hint of pride in my voice. "Mr. Jeon is very strict and has high expectations, but I'm learning a lot. The work is tough, but I'm enjoying it. It's pushing me to be better."

Aeri nodded, clearly impressed. "That's amazing. I'm really proud of you, Riru. It sounds like you're doing great."

"I'm trying," I said, smiling. "And what about your career? Are you still working as a doctor?"

"Yes, I am," she said, nodding. "I finished my residency and started working at a hospital in London. It's been demanding but rewarding. I love helping people, and it's really fulfilling."

I took a sip of my beer, feeling a sense of contentment as I listened to Aeri's stories. "You've really accomplished so much. I'm so proud of you, Aeri. It sounds like life has been treating you well."

"It has," she agreed, smiling warmly. "But I've missed you so much. Being away for so long was tough, but coming back and finding you here-it's like a dream come true."

I reached across the table and took her hand in mine. "I've missed you too, Aeri. There's so much we've missed in each other's lives. It's good to catch up."

Aeri squeezed my hand gently. "We should do this more often. I want to be a bigger part of your life again."

"I'd like that," I said, feeling a tear threaten to spill. "Let's make sure we stay in touch. No more long absences."

We spent the rest of the evening reminiscing about old times, sharing stories about our lives, and laughing until our sides hurt. The conversation flowed easily, and the warmth of our friendship filled the room.