𝟬𝟭𝟮. the gateway arch

•·

•·.·𝗠𝗔𝗟𝗜𝗔 𝗔𝗕𝗥𝗠𝗔𝗦·.·•

towards the end of our second day on the train, june 13th eight days before the summer solstice.

i got awoken up to someone nudging me.

"come on, sleeping beauty," annabeth said. "sightseeing."

"sightseeing? you're kidding," i said.

"nope," she smiled, grover gave me a tired look from besides percy and i could tell he had just woken up as well, percy smiled at me, which weirdly made me nervous. "the gateway arch," annabeth said. "this may be my only chance to ride to the top. are you coming or not?"

i wanted nothing more then to say no, to go back to sleep, but i knew annabeth was going with or without us and i couldn't let her go alone.

grover shrugged. "as long as there's a snack bar without monsters."

the arch was about a mile from the train station. late in the day the lines to get in weren't that long. we threaded our way through the underground museum, looking at covered wagons and other junk from the 1800s. it wasn't all that thrilling, but annabeth kept telling us facts about how the arch was built, and grover kept passing me and percy jelly beans, so it was okay.

"you smell anything," i heard percy murmur to grover.

he took his nose out of the jelly-bean bag long enough to sniff. "underground," he said distastefully. "underground air always smells like monsters. probably doesn't mean anything."

"guys," percy said. "you know the gods' symbols of power?"

annabeth had been in the middle of reading about the construction equipment used to build the arch, but she looked over.

"yeah?" i asked confused.

"well, hade-"

grover cleared his throat. "we're in a public place... you mean, our friend downstairs?"

"um, right," percy said. "our friend way downstairs. doesn't he have a hat like annabeth's?"

"you mean the helm of darkness," annabeth said. "yeah, that's his symbol of power. i saw it next to his seat during the winter solstice council meeting."

"he was there?" percy asked.

annabeth nodded.

"it's the only time he's allowed to visit olympus - the darkest day of the year." i informed him.