Chapter 6

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝙰𝚝𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌- 𝙷𝙴𝙰𝚅𝙴𝙽 𝙰𝙽𝙳 𝙱𝙰𝙲𝙺

⋆༺𓆩⚔️𓆪༻⋆

Twenty wrong turns and empty halls later, I eventually reach a large glass-covered hallway that gives me a chance to take a break and watch the stunning starry night sky from outside.

As I stood there and took in the breathtaking view of the pitch-black sky that rests above the vast pond on the other side of the glass, I couldn't help but feel completely in awe. Even now, something about sunsets and starry nights makes me feel so warm and at peace with the world. It takes almost all of me to tear my eyes away from the stunning view and get back to looking for the staircase the dark-haired girl mentioned earlier.

I take a right turn as the girl instructed and practically jump when I discover the staircase she was referring to.

So she was telling the truth after all.

I am about to descend the flight of stairs when I notice a strange blue light flickering in the corner of my vision. I lift my head to look at the light and count two flashes. I have no idea what that means, but I don't give it a second thought as I proceed with a decision that I may or may not later regret. 

A slight smirk plays on my lips when I throw a vulgar gesture at the camera.That will teach the bastard. No, no it won't, but it'll make me feel better, and that's all that matters.

Hurrying down the concrete stairway, I feel the air becoming increasingly thicker and cooler. An unexplainable, ominous aura emanates from this underground level, causing a nagging sense of unease to build within me. Part of me couldn't shake the feeling that I was walking into another trap, but I push all other thoughts aside and start desperately looking for any door that could lead to my brother.

This place resembled a forgotten military institution or an eerie scene from a chilling film. Perhaps this was where Land—or Lorenzo, as I had come to know him—metered out his torture to victims before brutally ending their lives. Still, it doesn't smell nearly as bad as it did in the chamber room where I was initially held captive.

Steel makes up the lower walls, and four expansive walkways are located in each direction I look. The floor is of hard concrete and except for the tiny sewer lights placed at each pathway, it's completely dark down here. You'd think someone with a fortune like Lorenzo's would be able to afford some fancy lights, right?

Upon deciding to go right, a sudden burst of laughter stops me in my tracks.

That laugh... I knew that laugh.

The sound returns, louder and more distinct than before. In an instant, I recognize the familiar voice associated with the laughter as Lukas. I follow the sound of his voice until I am drawn to one of the other paths and instantly choose to go that way. As I move more quickly, I make sure to keep an ear out for any further sounds coming from the dim hallways.

"You cheated. I'm done playing this game with you." A deep, masculine voice rumbling through the empty halls as I instinctively slow my footsteps, my curiosity piqued.

The man's words seem to be tinged with a faint Romanian accent, creating a stark contrast compared to Lorenzo's distinct American cadence. The sudden slamming of the massive door sends a jolt through me, causing me to involuntarily flinch. Taking a deep breath, I gather my courage and inch closer to the origin of the voices, my heart pounding in my chest.

"No, you just really suck at playing board games and so does Elaine." Luke shouts, his voice echoing in my ears for a brief moment.

"You owe me five hundred bucks, loser."