𝙸 - 𝙶𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙳𝚎𝚋𝚞𝚝

"Okay Nelly, I see you," Vanora says as she pinches my cheek, "you outdid yourself here

"Okay Nelly, I see you," Vanora says as she pinches my cheek, "you outdid yourself here. The shop looks outstanding—it makes this look like something you would 100% own. I'm surprised you even managed to pull this off."

I feel a burning sensation igniting on my cheek, her pinch causing a sharp sense of pain. I rub my cheek as I give her a slight glare, followed by the rolling of my eyes. Vanora is always like this—getting under my skin despite her words being coated in her sugary-sweet tone of voice. As I examine the recipes that took years for me to perfect, I take a deep breath. I am Neladrie Fawnings—a well-known and thoroughly trained witch! Potion-brewing is what I dedicated my life to, there is no need for my nerves to start acting up right now! What is left to do? Write in my diary, of course! Vanora studies me carefully, a cunning expression on her face as she twirls around her finger in the fluff considered my hair. By that look, I know that she'll say something in about three, two-

     "Neladrie, get your head out of the clouds! Take a look outside," my cheeks get squished as she turns my face to examine the outside of my windows. "see who's all waiting on you?"

     My eyes widen—all of those people are there.. for me? For my grand opening? Instinctively, I scram to the back of the shop, which is where I live.

     "Nope, no, not tha—oh! Yes, yes," I pick up a small pendant.

     This pendant was endowed to me by Mother when I was young—a pendant that channels the energy of magic. I lacked the skills to use it back then properly. The purpose it served was to provide me with a sense of belonging, coming from a family of witches. A group deemed as evil—damned from society. This pendant was Mother's way of telling me that I—well, we are more than rumors. I fasten it around my neck, not without complication. All witches deserve to be respected, not looked down upon! I vow to be that change; Mother would be proud.

Leaning on the door, Vanora examines me. I notice her grin, which hasn't left her face. If my eyes don't deceive, her expression softens upon seeing me struggle. I feel her connect the pendant's hook to the hole in the chain, securing the piece of jewelry around my neck. She observes my appearance for a second before giving me a nod of approval. If Vanora approves, I'm beyond certain that I look good.

With a boost of confidence, I step into the mirror. A twinkle of light instantly explodes in my fiery eyes, illuminating them further. In the mirror, I don't just see myself. I see the years of hard work I've spent, building myself up from the bottom. While I may not be at the top, I am still higher than I have ever been—grounded. Grounded enough to take pride in myself and my accomplishments. I'm a damn shop owner now, this day is my day!

Vanora gives me her infamous 'go, girl' look, and I nod. I grab my golden sheers, decorated in teal agates, and head for the front of my door. Deep breaths, Nel, deep breaths. They're counting on you, so make this the best grande ouverture Cassius' Domain has ever seen! With Nora beside me, I push open the doors to my shop. A big, toothy grin spreads across my face—the sun highlighting the pointy fangs of my canine teeth.