Chapter 8: Year 8 - The Unseen Triumph

Haein was now eight years old, and the contrast between her and her younger brother, Soo-cheol, had never been more pronounced. Both had been entered into international math contests—Haein in the advanced category for her age, and Soo-cheol in a junior category. The contests represented not just academic challenges but the chance to prove themselves in a competitive world.

As the contest approached, Haein threw herself into her preparation with an intensity that reflected her desire to achieve and be seen. Her mother’s growing neglect and Soo-cheol’s increasing favoritism made her more determined to excel. She spent countless hours solving complex problems, her only solace being the silent assurance that her hard work would pay off.

When the day of the contests arrived, Haein and Soo-cheol went their separate ways, each with their own set of challenges. Soo-cheol, who struggled with his problems, did his best and managed to complete the contest. The experience was a valuable learning opportunity, and his effort was acknowledged by their parents with a sense of pride. They threw a large celebration in his honor, a grand affair that brought friends and extended family together.

Meanwhile, Haein shone brilliantly in her advanced category. Her performance was exceptional, and she emerged as the top competitor, winning first place with a stunning display of intellect. The recognition she received from the contest itself was immense, but it was met with a stark contrast back home.

When Haein returned, she expected at least some acknowledgment from her family. Her mother was preoccupied with the celebration for Soo-cheol, and Haein’s triumph seemed to be overshadowed by the focus on her brother. The household was abuzz with excitement over Soo-cheol’s participation, while Haein’s success was met with indifference.

The celebration for Soo-cheol was elaborate—decorations, a cake, and numerous congratulatory messages. Friends and family gathered to applaud Soo-cheol, praising him for his efforts. Haein, despite her own achievements, found herself relegated to the background. She was expected to attend the event as part of the family but was largely ignored.

During the celebration, Haein sat quietly in a corner, her feelings of isolation growing stronger with each passing moment. Soo-cheol was the centre of attention, showered with praise and presents, while Haein’s accomplishment went unmentioned. Her mother, though present, seemed more interested in maintaining the façade of a proud parent than in genuinely recognizing her daughter’s success.

The evening took a darker turn when Haein overheard a conversation between her parents. They spoke of Soo-cheol’s potential and how proud they were of his perseverance. The conversation, though intended to be private, stung deeply. Haein realized that her achievements were not only unrecognized but also undervalued compared to Soo-cheol’s.

As Soo-cheol played with his new toys and the guests continued to celebrate his participation, Haein retreated to her room. The room, once a place of solace, now felt like a prison. She sat by her desk, surrounded by the trophies and certificates she had earned, and felt a profound sense of loneliness.

The disparity in treatment between her and Soo-cheol became increasingly evident. Her mother’s coldness was more pronounced, and Soo-cheol’s indifference to her feelings further alienated her. The lack of acknowledgment for her success drove a deeper wedge between them.

In the days that followed, Haein’s isolation continued. Her mother’s neglect grew more pronounced, and Soo-cheol’s behavior became more dismissive. Haein’s only refuge was in her academic pursuits, where she continued to excel but felt a growing emptiness. The world outside might have recognized her brilliance, but within her own family, she remained unseen.

Haein began to focus on her studies with even more determination, driven by a desire to prove her worth to herself rather than seeking validation from her family. She threw herself into her schoolwork, finding solace in the structured challenges and the small victories they brought.

One evening, as Haein was working on a particularly difficult problem, she found a small, handwritten note in her desk drawer. It was from Soo-cheol, who had somehow managed to sneak it into her room. The note read: “I’m sorry. I don’t know why Mum doesn’t see how amazing you are. I think you’re great.”

The note, though simple, was a small comfort. It was a reminder that even though her family might not fully understand her, there was still someone who cared. Haein folded the note carefully and tucked it away, a small beacon of hope amidst the darkness.

Chapter 8 closed with Haein still grappling with her place in her family and her own sense of self-worth. Despite the celebration that had overshadowed her triumph, she resolved to continue striving for excellence. Her journey was far from over, and while she remained unseen by those who should have supported her, she was determined to let her achievements speak for themselves.