=͟͟͞͞ ✯ 18

soonyoung was in a good mood. he was in a great mood, and while everyone wanted to know the reason why, soonyoung didn't want to admit that it was because of his boyfriend.

soonyoung was not one of those people obsessed with their partners, of course not. but after spending the past week getting yelled at by mingyu and tossed around by servers, he needed a break. and that break came in the form of his boyfriend telling him that he was taking them on a date after soonyoung got out of work. and it really is the little things in life that cheer you up. call soonyoung silly, he saw it as optimism.

soonyoung still smiled and brushed his friends off when they asked why he was so happy. they didn't want to hear the actual reason behind his joy, and a part of him felt saddened by that, but he was just fine with the knowledge of what awaited him later that night.

despite his best efforts, soonyoung couldn't keep seungkwan and seokmin from walking to his station and pestering him. bless his friends, they really couldn't take no for an answer sometimes.

seokmin and seungkwan pretended like they walked back there for other reasons, the youngest of the trio acting like he was searching for something to eat while the second youngest/second oldest/middle child, whatever you could address seokmin as in their cute little trio, pretended to be preoccupied at the drink station.

sonyoung could feel their eyes on him, and he smiled to himself as he heard their disinterested murmurs towards each other. when the two of them eventually huddled around him with seokmin wrapping an arm around his shoulders and effectively trapping the oldest, soonyoung didn't bother to put up a fight. he knew that if the roles were reversed, he would act the same exact way.

from soonyoung's left, seungkwan leaned his elbows on the window in front of them and whistled lowly, additionally knocking his fingers into the window as he called out to junhui, "hey, hyung, do you know what's going on with him?"

although no one assumed seungkwan was speaking directly to mingyu, the head chef turned around and didn't lift his eyes from the food he was plating as he joked, "yeah, i think he's on crack."

soonyoung let out a light scoff and rolled his eyes at the younger boy, but didn't deny the statement. seungkwan, however, picked up a leftover receipt and crumpled it up. he threw the ball at mingyu's head as he said with a disapproving look on his face, "substance abuse is no joke, mingyu."

mingyu rolled his eyes and lifted his hands up in mock surrender, quickly walking away to check on one of the cooks further down the line. the head chef knew when to pick his battles, and today just didn't seem to be his day.

junhui snorted loudly as he turned around, picking up the receipt that bounced off of mingyu's forehead and landed on the counter. he quickly tossed it away as he said, "no, i don't know what's up with soonyoung. i assumed that you two would know."

before soonyoung could respond, he felt a hand brush over his waist as someone walked behind him. he followed the hand with furrowed eyebrows, smiling in recognition when he spotted chan standing next to him.

chan smiled at soonyoung as he let out a light chuckle. "sorry about that, it's pretty crowded back here right now." he paused, addressing seokmin and seungkwan as well as he continued, "i came back here to ask why our friends have their names written on a chalkboard at the server's station." the youngest said as he settled next to soonyoung.

seungkwan let out a groan, waving his hands around wildly as he said hurriedly, "the restaurant has a yearly tradition where we all split into teams and play a ball game. this year, we're playing kickball."

before seungkwan could continue, chan interjected with, "how would that even work, would the restaurant close down for the day?"

seungkwan let out an even louder groan, his eyes rolling up to the ceiling as he said, "no, chan. we all split into groups and play on different days."