30 - "Reality Check"

The McClain house was always busy

The McClain house was always busy. It made sense with seven of them under one roof. People seemed to be in and out every minute of the day. It was like none of the kids ever went to school. They came home all hours of the day except the two youngest, eleven-year-old Jahlil and seven-year-old Oakland. And Rome knew that was only because they were too small to walk out of elementary school by themselves.

Rome was getting use to living with the McClains. Not comfortable, just use to it. It wasn't as bad as he thought. It'd been at least a month and he didn't hear anyone ask him about rent, bother him for money or try to kick him out.

It was just like Monica had said. Everyone was kind of worried about themselves in the McClain household. It was like all of them were adults.

Sleeping in Monica's bed next to her was the best. He felt like such an adult, none of this would've flown with his grandmother. But here it seemed rules were non-existent.

Rome loved it, but to be honest it was a little chaotic with no rules and structure.

It was 9:06am on a Thursday and Rome was standing at the foot of the bed in his boxers, brushing his teeth and looking at Monica who was laying in bed even though Summer school started an hour ago.

"Moni, go to school man." He told her in a groggy voice. "You gonna be tight when you have to repeat the grade. Then you gonna get into even more fights when people roast you for getting held back."

He didn't know why he said that because he knew it would rile her up. Monica was just like a damn boy when it came to violence. Everything for her was a respect thing and talking shit to her counted as disrespect. Looking at her funny—disrespect. Saying something she didn't like? Disrespect. Almost anything was disrespectful to her. And it was one of the negatives he was learning about her.

"Why? Nothing is there for me but hating bitches."

Rome smacked his teeth, "Man...you don't listen. You almost done with high school, just get it over with."

"Okay and I'm gonna go but I just don't want to go today."

"That's not how it works Monica." Rome told her. Sure he was from New York and Texas and New York probably had different rules, but he knew Summer school was the same in general. A few days missed would cause a student to be kicked out the program.

He finished the Junior year in the detention center. He was already ready to apply to a high school after summer. He was going to Monica's high school once Summer was done.

"You keep missing days they gonna kick you out. Just go. You gonna regret not finishing high school, just finish. I'm gonna be right here when you come back home, where am I going?"

Monica looked at him like he was crazy, although she was blushing low key. He made it sound like the highlight of her day was being around him, even though low key it was.