1

"You look wonderful" Laena smiled, brushing a stray strand of silvery hair behind my ear, the rest was intricately braided down my back.

"I feel so out of place, don't you think Lianna is more suited to this?" I turned to face the mirror, pulling at the tight collar of my dress. Of course I was dressed head to toe in Velaryon blue, god forbid the King should forget that I am pure blooded Valyrian.

"Perhaps they would be" Laena agreed as she batted my hand away, "But you have something Lianna doesn't"

"That isn't going to win me a marriage proposal instantly" I sighed, looking over my shoulder at my eldest sister. Laena and I had always been the closest, the eldest and the youngest.

"It definitely helps" She replied calmly, "Now, you're going show those ladies a true Velaryon. Oh and try to catch the King's eye"

"Sounds easy" I whispered, wiping my sweaty palms on my dress. It was beautiful adorned with silver details and my own embroidery that resembled the waves at Driftmark.

After taking a long deep breath, I bid farewell to my sister and stepped out of the chamber to where my father waited.

Lord Alyn Velaryon was not a tall or large man, my brothers were all taller than him, and one of my sisters was larger. However, he had an air of authority about him, I almost felt the need to curtesy in his presence but I saved that for the King.

"Have you finished readying yourself?" He asked, looking down at me with his lilac eyes that he had passed to all his children.

"I believe so" I replied, the sounds of chatter could be heard from the other side of the wall, the noble men and women who had journeyed to see who the King would choose as his queen.

Father held out his arm and I took it gratefully, then together we stepped through the archway and into the Great Hall.

I pushed my nerves aside like my mother had taught me and raised my head high, staring directly at King Daeron. Somehow he was younger than I pictured, I knew he was ten and six but somehow he seemed less and yet he was older than myself. Regardless, he was the epitome of a Targaryen king, with pale silver-gold hair like my own and deep violet eyes. Nestled on his brow was the crown of our shared ancester, Aegon the Conqueror. I was in awe of it, not to forget the incredible Valyrian steel longsword that had also belonged to the Conqueror.

Honestly, I would've also been in awe of the boy who had conquered Dorne but I watched his eyes and they were glued to a young maiden on my left. I strained my eyes and realised it was Lady Jeyne Manderly, she seemed quite plain to me but I brushed it off.

"Lord Alyn of House Velaryon, Lord of the Tides, Master of Driftmark. And his daughter, Lady Aella Velaryon"

The King's hand, Prince Viserys, leaned across the whisper in his nephews ear. Suddenly, his gaze was drawn to me and I found myself looking into his dark eyes.

Once we stopped in front of the iron throne, where the King was looking down at us from, my father dropped his arm and I let my own rest clasped in front of me.

"Lady Aella," King Daeron started, tipping his head towards me, I dropped into a low curtesy but didn't take my eyes of his for a second. "It is unfortunate we have not met properly these last few years, I would've liked to have known my cousins better"

"We would've been honoured to have spent time in your company, your grace" I smiled, matching his tone of familiarity.

He opened his mouth to speak again but his uncle interrupted, yet again whispering to him.

I took the chance to take in the guests, standing to the Kings left was his sisters, the princesses, and his brother, Prince Baelor (who rather rudely had his nose in a book). But beside them were their first cousins, the Princes Aegon and Aemon and their sister Princess Naerys, the children of the Hand.

Prince Aegon looked away from the throne for just a moment and locked eyes with me, I quickly diverted my gaze back to the King, just as he was finishing with his uncle.

"My Hand informs of something very interesting" King Daeron mused, "He tells me that you're a dragonrider"

I couldn't help but smile.

A/N

hey y'all welcome back.

few little points to make. i am not sure if i'm gonna keep writing my other fanfic, i'm a little lost rn, i know where i wanna go but it's just getting there yk?

back to this story.

Aella is pronounced like Ella, nothing special.

I know it's canon that the dragons are dead by 153AC and this is technically 159AC but whose counting ok? if you are... please don't.

in the book it's unconfirmed how many kids baela and alyn had so i'm just deciding for myself.

There is Laena, Corlys, Daemion, Alyssa, Aethan, Lianna and Aella.

Seems like a fair amount.

i'm rolling off of something GRRM said about Daeron I being married without kids and she was just forgotten. he did change that but either way. that's the story :)