Phantom Perfumes

"Coffee and cigarettes;

as simple as it gets.

Of all the things I think I'll miss with you." ~Jimmy Eat World

June, 2013. Pennsylvania. Cannon.

The sun glinted through the leaves of the apple orchard as Heather Tremblay strolled along the open rows, feeling the weight of the basket she carried start to strain the muscles of her arms and smiling as she watched Golden Hour paint everything around her in a warm glow.

The pink on her cheeks and the excitement in her eyes was due to something different, however, and that something had brown curls and gray eyes and had taken up a summer job with helping out his elderly neighbor with the farm next door.

An hour ago, Heather had parked her car next to the Rosewall's home, waiting until Mrs. Rosewall had packed up a basket of goodies. Heather had then begun the now-familiar trek through the brief wooded area which then connected to the orchards of Farmer Ken. The old man was still young enough where he could handle most aspects of owning a small farm but, because of the number of years he had been given on this earth, Farmer Ken was no longer comfortable directly caring for his horses.

'He's afraid of getting kicked in the chest,' Theo had explained to Heather when he had first told her about this job. They had been sitting at some picnic tables at the ice cream shop, enjoying the opening weekend of their favorite place in town. 'Which is fair. One kick in the chest, and he's a goner. At least I would stand a chance if one of the horses got temperamental.'

Heather had then blushed when she had simply glanced over at her friend and had noticed how, since he had started working on the farm, his shirt was tighter across his chest from the muscle he had gained by working there.

'You certainly would stand a chance,' she had thought to herself.

Now, however, Heather could see the top of the roof of the old stone and wooden barn, which she knew contained the horses and the one she sought. Cresting over the hill as fast as she could, the Tremblay girl took a moment to appreciate the sight before her as the late spring breeze blew through her dark hair.

The golden rays made the area look like a scene from a memory; the warm light casting a romantic image on each object it could reach. The old, stone farmhouse stood proudly at three stories high with bushes of Rose of Sharon at its feet and laced curtains in its eyes. On the lawn out front billowed white sheets drying on the line and, while Heather started walking down the hill, she smiled when she noticed that, under the line, the little ducklings were waddling after their mom.

'So picturesque,' Heather thought to herself, walking towards the doors of the barn.

The barn itself was not far away from the house, so the Tremblay woman took little time to reach it and to poke her head quickly inside.

"Now Merian," Heather heard, recognizing the voice immediately. "You know if you bite me I will bite back. Don't test me."

When Heather turned around the corner after walking inside, she paused in her steps at the familiar sight before her.

Theo, his hair pulled into a small pony tail and a ripped-off flannel covering his torso, leaned casually against the door of the wooden stall with his arms crossed. From where she stood, she could see the sheen of sweat on his shoulders from the warmth of the day and the humored glint in his gray eyes as he remained utterly focused on the mare across from him.

Even though he was sweaty and had dirt covering his ripped jeans, Heather thought he still was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen. Her heart beating significantly faster also seemed to agree with her.