Meant To Be

After returning to the cabin alone, Sierra showered and changed into a yellow sundress all the while analysing Eli's outburst. He's clearly hurting and wants to hide it. Something about last night's history lesson struck a nerve with him, she thought. 

Sierra left the cabin in search of the market. She tried retracing the path Eli took on their last outing but became lost and turned around. She asked the few guards and courtiers she came across for directions, most ignoring her or muttering sentiments about her presence being against the accords. 

The castle's vast garden sprawled before her, a maze of hedges and walkways that led to everywhere and nowhere at once. "I'm definitely, definitely lost," she mumbled to herself, trudging across a green field edged by a flowing lake. 

"Sierra!" A voice called from a distance. She looked around but didn't see anyone. The voice called again, this time louder. She followed the sound along the water, pushing through a small thicket of trees to reveal a pergola nestled at the edge of the river. Underneath the wooden structure, a figure sat, waving a hand over her head gracefully. 

Sierra spotted the white streak in her dark hair first, instantly recognising Mei. She approached, taking in the easel canvas and art supplies in front Mei. 

"Sierra, it's so good to see you." A beautiful smile illuminated Mei's face, and Sierra believed her words. 

"It's good to see you too, Mei." Sierra looked over the canvas, a landscape was coming to life, "Wow, you're an incredible artist." 

Mei smiled, gesturing for Sierra to sit beside her. "I've had many years to practice." She resumed her painting, the brush gently caressing the canvas, "I hear you and Eli have been practicing as well. How fairs that?" 

Sierra felt the stinging hurt of their earlier interaction return. "Not so well," she confessed, "He was quite intense this morning and we argued. He stormed off without saying anything." 

Mei's paintbrush stopped, turning her attention to Sierra, "He can sometimes let his emotions get the best of him. As a demon hunter, his burden grows as the Shadowlands do." 

Sierra contemplated Mei's words. "Eli told me about how the Shadowlands have caused destruction before. Last night he told me about Atoria's dark past." 

Mei's knuckles turned white, gripping her paintbrush hard. "Did he tell you about the Divining of Selena?" Mei's voice was quiet. 

Unsure if she was supposed to know, Sierra decided to remain truthful, "Yes, he told me how horribly it ended for the Moon civilisation." 

"That's probably why he was so intense earlier," Mei's eyes filled with sadness in the same way Eli's had. "Most of the Aurora royalty were at the ceremony that night, including Heylel's mother who had only just given birth to him and had left him at home with the wet nurse. The boys' father, the king, was the only other Aurora royal not there." 

Realisation hit Sierra, her eyes going wide. Eli's family line could have been wiped out that day, alongside the Moon civilisation.  Her voice staggered, "I, I didn't know. No one ever..." 

"How could you have known, Sierra." Mei's voice was reassuring, unaccusing. 

Sorrow filled Sierra's words, "This world of yours is... different. Dangerous. I've always felt like I don't really belong but here I feel completely on the outer." 

Mei set her canvas aside and placed a comforting hand on Sierra's, offering a warm smile, "You are exactly where you are meant to be." 

A tingling of energy whispered at Sierra's skin under Mei's hand. Sierra wanted to believe Mei but she couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. 

Sierra turned away, looking out over the flowing river. The early afternoon sunlight danced along the water. 

"Do you enjoy art?" Mei asked. 

Sierra wasn't sure how to answer, "I, uh, used to draw when I was younger but not so much anymore." 

"I have a sketchpad with me." Mei dug through a small crate filled with papers and canvas, producing a sketchpad and pencils. She practically pushed them into Sierra's hands, "You should draw something."

"Oh, I don't really..." Sierra stumbled over her words. 

Mei arched her brow, "Don't be shy now." 

Sierra hesitated, but something about Mei's encouragement made her want to. She took the sketchpad and pencils, opening the pad to a fresh page. It fit perfectly in her hand, the pad being only just larger than her palm. 

Mei watched her with a gentle smile, her eyes sparkling. She returned to her painting, the two becoming lost in the creative process. The sounds of the garden grew more vivid, the smells more potent. It was as if the world around them had become a part of the artwork before them. Sierra sketched out the flowers and trees from the garden, remembering how good it felt to draw.  

The sun began slipping over the horizon, long shadows covering the garden. Mei began packing her supplies, the picturesque painting complete, alive

"This is incredible," Sierra murmured, leaning over to gawk at the artwork. The painting was an exact match of the vista in front of them. Mei offered a confident smile. 

Sierra closed the sketchpad and slid it over the wooden bench toward Mei. Mei slid it back, "keep it, please."  

Sierra accepted with a smile, offering to help Mei carry her things back to the castle. The two women carried the easel and crate, making a start toward the castle, the torches on the castle walls lighting their way. 

"Eli's been carrying a heavy burden since he was young," Mei said as they strolled along the cobblestone path. "He was the King's son, but not the Queen's. Born to a mistress and given a title, many consider him to be an outsider too. One who does not belong."  

Sierra's steps slowed, the gravity of the situation setting in. 

Mei looked at her thoughtfully. "Talk to him. He's not good at opening up but maybe you could show him that he's not alone."

Her words resonated with Sierra. She'd felt like an outsider since her arrival, but perhaps she wasn't the only one feeling isolated. Maybe Eli would understand her, even just a bit. 

They continued in silence, Mei offering a warm farewell and directions as a guard collected her things at the castle doors and escorted her inside. 

Sierra followed Mei's instructions and reached Eli's cabin. The darkness of the night swallowed the cabin, no light on inside. No Eli inside, she thought. 

She waited a moment, turning to the stars and moon. Sierra contemplated the serene beauty of the silver giant framed by the velvet black backdrop, the stars twinkling. She drank in the beauty of the sky for a moment before entering the cold, empty cabin.