Prologue

Sebastian's apartment was bathed in the soft glow of city lights filtering through the wide windows. The night was quiet, save for the occasional hum of traffic far below. In the dimly lit bedroom, Maya and Sebastian lay tangled in the sheets, their bodies close but their hearts miles apart. The clock on the nightstand ticked steadily toward midnight, a silent witness to the evening's quiet tension.

Sebastian unwillingly unwraps his arms from Maya already knowing her next move and not wanting to feel the rejection. Right on cue Maya speaks. "It's getting late. I need to get home." She rises from the bed grabbing her clothes that were previously tossed onto the bedroom floor. 

"You shouldn't drive this late. You're more than welcome to stay." Sebastian's heart speaks before his mind has a chance to reel him in. He is hoping he didn't sound too desperate for her to remain close to him in his bed, in his arms where she belongs.

"I have work in the morning." She delivers the line with a practiced coolness,  another excuse to keep her distance from the man she once loved. She still loves but she refuses to admit that to him or anyone else. Each word felt like a knife, cutting deeper into the bond they once shared.

Maya hesitated, her back to him as she slipped into her shirt, the weight of their history pressing down like a heavy blanket.  When she finally turned to face him, her expression was unreadable. The silence hung between them, thick with all the words they hadn't said.

"Dont forget to lock your door." Not what sebation was hoping to hear as maya turned to leave the room and exit his apartment. 

🌑

Maya lays her head on the steering wheel. She felt a pang of disappointment wash over her as she recalled the warmth of Sebastian's embrace, how safe and loved she used to feel in his arms. Back then, they were unstoppable—two dreamers navigating the chaos of life together, sharing late-night talks that stretched into dawn and laughter that echoed through the streets.

But that was before the betrayal, before she had to piece her heart back together like shattered glass. Now, here she was, standing on the edge of the same precipice she had sworn never to approach again. How could she keep coming back to him, knowing that he had broken her trust?

With a sigh, she rubbed her temples, frustration swirling within her. She had promised herself this time would be different. No more late-night calls, no more slipping into his bed, wrapped up in the comfort of familiarity while ignoring the reality of her heart. Yet, every time they were together, all her resolve seemed to melt away like ice under the sun.

"Why do I keep doing this?" she murmured to herself, her voice barely above a whisper. She turned away from the window, the city's pulse echoing her own tumultuous heart. Deep down, she knew she wasn't ready to face the vulnerability of a real relationship again, not after what he had done. And yet, the chemistry between them was undeniable, igniting memories of stolen kisses and whispered secrets.

As she remembered the way they used to laugh, how he would tease her about her obsession with organizing her books by color, she felt a mix of warmth and pain. Those moments felt so far away now, tainted by the shadows of their past. She had loved him with everything she had, and he had let her down.

But being in his presence, even just for a night, felt like coming home. It was intoxicating and terrifying all at once. 

Maya closed her eyes, trying to quiet the conflicting emotions swirling inside her. "I can't keep doing this," she thought, knowing she needed to find the strength to let go—not just of Sebastian, but of the version of herself that had let love blind her to reality.