Chapter 41

The knock on the door was soft, almost hesitant. I looked up from where I sat by the window, lost in the quiet that had become my constant companion. When I opened it, I saw Mark standing there, his face lined with the kind of grief that mirrored my own. He looked older, weariness etched into his features, and my heart ached seeing him like this.

"Hey, Mark," I said, trying to muster a semblance of normalcy. "Come in."

He stepped inside, his movements slow and deliberate. I could see the weight of guilt pressing down on him, and it made my heart ache even more. We settled into the living room, the silence between us heavy with unspoken words.

Mark took a deep breath before speaking. "Ethan, I—I don't even know where to begin. I've been feeling like I failed Lena, like I should have been there more for her. I can't stop thinking about how much I should have done."

I nodded, feeling a pang of sadness for him. "I understand. I think we all feel that way to some extent. It's hard not to second-guess ourselves in times like these."

Mark sank into the chair across from me, his hands clasped tightly together. "I just wanted to say... thank you. For everything you did for her. I know you were there for her when I couldn't be. You were her rock when she needed it most. I'm grateful for that."

His voice cracked with emotion, and I could see the tears welling up in his eyes. It was a raw, heartfelt admission, and it struck a chord deep within me. I swallowed hard, feeling the familiar sting of tears. "Mark, Lena was the love of my life. I would have done anything for her. But I'm grateful for your support too. You were important to her, and she knew you cared."

We sat in silence for a moment, the gravity of our shared loss hanging in the air. It was a different kind of grief, one that came from the realization of how much we had lost and how helpless we felt in the face of it.

"I just wish I could have done more," Mark said finally, his voice barely above a whisper. "I wish I could have been there for her, especially toward the end."

"You were part of her life, Mark," I said softly. "And she appreciated that more than you know. Sometimes, just being there when it matters is enough."

Mark nodded, though the sadness in his eyes didn't fully fade. "I hope she knew how much she meant to me. I hope she knew how much I loved her."

"She knew," I assured him, my voice steady despite the lump in my throat. "She knew. And she knew you cared. We both did what we could, given the circumstances."

We sat together, each lost in our thoughts, the quiet a balm for our wounded souls. It wasn't a perfect healing, but it was a step toward finding solace. As the minutes ticked by, the weight of the conversation seemed to lift slightly, replaced by a shared understanding of our grief and gratitude.

When Mark finally stood to leave, he looked more at peace, though the sorrow remained. He placed a hand on my shoulder, a gesture of solidarity and friendship. "Thank you, Ethan. For everything. And for talking with me."

I managed a small, sad smile. "Anytime, Mark. We'll get through this, one day at a time."

As he walked out the door, I watched him go, feeling a mix of sadness and relief. It was a step toward healing, for both of us. The pain of losing Lena would never fully disappear, but moments like these—where we could share our grief and gratitude—helped to make it a little more bearable.