Chapter 2

2 out of the 4 hours it takes to reach the campsite site have passed. We had spent the first 1 and a half hour blasting music on Alisa's blue-tooth speaker. By now, though, those who wanted to continue listening have just plugged in their earpieces. The rest of the class mostly consists of those who are either asleep, on their phones, or simply chatting with their friends.

Both Felix and I have our headphones on, and while he's dozing off by now, I'm enjoying a new book I'd been given on my birthday by an aunt that I barely know.
Meanwhile, beside me, Jay and Vivian are chatting away like the true chatter-boxes they are. Vivian is definitely the "mom" of the group, but she also has her inner child.

My own eyes are starting to get heavy as a result of not sleeping last night thanks to my bloody insomnia. I put the book back in my bag and put my head on Lix's shoulder to get in a quick nap.

                                                                                                ♤

I'm pulled out of my half-asleep state, and my still-drowsy brain fails to comprehend what's happening. I think around half an hour has passed since I fell asleep, but I can't be sure. My head is ringing like crazy and whether the bus is in a state of panic or excitement-I can't tell. It takes me a good 2 seconds to settle on panic...and realize that we're spinning out of control.

"What the hell is going on!?" I bellow, hoping I'm heard over the yells.

"We heard something loud." shouts Jay in reply. "A tire burst I think"

I glance over to the front , and it does look like the bus leaning downwards. I shout out as my side of the bus hits something. Thankfully, the glass remains intact despite the jolt. I don't get much time to be grateful, though, because less than a second later, we bus crashes into what appears to be a tree. Before I properly process what's going on, my head hits the handle on the back of the seat in front of me, and I'm pulled down into oblivion.

                                                                                            ♤

Once again, I'm jerked awake, though this time it's I'm pulled from unconsciousness rather than sleep. Standing in front of me is Vivian, wearing a concerned expression on her face and standing behind her are the other two.

There's a constant thudding in the background, and my head is throbbing like someone's hitting it with a hammer. My brain's still taking in that the dull grey surroundings of the inside of the bus, and Vivian speaks it takes me a moment to realize it.

"Rosalind! Thank Lord," She taps the left side of my head. "You were hit pretty hard. We were debating on carrying you out if you didn't wake up in time."

Carry me out? What in the world's she talking about? Then I realize that the banging I've been hearing since I was dragged back to consciousness isn't just my head ringing. Instead, it's several other students trying to open the bus doors, which look jammed as far as my still dazed brain can tell.

"Look, we gotta get out of here. Like right now." says Vivian with a concerning amount of fear in her voice.

"What the hell is going on? Like, actually!" I exclaim. I know I shouldn't snap at them, but my brain has officially started shouting "INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!". "I mean, I can tell we crashed, but why are you all in a panic to get out?" I try again, a little calmer this time.

"Yes, we crashed. See that smoke?" Felix says gently, pointing at the windshield.
I nod my head, and almost as if it was a cue Jay hurries toward me, unbuckles my seatbelt, and pulls me to my feet. He then hands me my duffle bag and practically drags me to the doors. I pause on the way, noticing that many of the others are still unconscious in their seats. That doesn't deter Jay, though, who yanks me forward.