3

"Up and walking," Colley states slowly.

I stand with my back to the window, curtains drawn, fiddling with a loose string upon my hospital gown.

"No choice when you're a dead woman," I say quietly.

"Not dead, at least not yet, Ms. Cerbey," crossing the room in yet another fine suit, Freddie Simons' son produced a crisp, brown envelope from his possession.

"Something to hold you over, as I'm sure you're ready to go," he observed. His eyes trailed across my face and I looked away, anger biting at the opening of my throat. I wanted to call Cordyte every bad name in the book, but I knew I would have to wait for that moment another time.

"Scarred," he observes, Colley Simons, ever so observant.

"A survivor," I state, my fists balling, "One that wants blood from her sister," I sneer the last word.

"But still a beauty. Diamond in the rough, as some say," the man turns on his heel, pausing in the doorway to glance at my flowers in the chair. "Don't let those die. Not everything good can be brought back to new."

"All you have to do is try," I say faintly, my hand reaching to touch my left ear.

"The money should hold you over. I assume you will keep me updated on your whereabouts in case any assistance is required," he says, back still to me, head turned to the right.

"Colley," I whisper, walking forwards. Slowly turning as I approach, he takes me in with his eyes again.

"Courtlynn...Cerbey," he maintains an even tone, almost impassive.

"What am I walkin' into?" I ask him, faltering a bit as I look away from his gaze.

"What you were already apart of-"

"No, but what am I really walking into. It's not about the money anymore," I shake my head, "This is all about something more. Cordyte wants her birthright. She wants what she believed she would obtain all this time. What that...what my father was training her for all this time."

"So will you give up? Just like that? After slaying so many people. After looking the one thing everyone old and young fears in their lifetimes' right in the face. You were so-so badass," he sputters.

"Before the coma. Before I laid in a hospital bed and woke up to you," I gesture to Freddie's son, "and all this bull, and the ring and," I let in a shaky inhale, "I grew up, Colley. Just like that. And I don't want it."

"You don't want the throne," he scoffs, looking at me like I was the craziest thing he had ever seen. And maybe I was. Walking away from him, I open up the bathroom door of the hospital room, clicking on the light and brushing my bonnet up off my eyebrows.

"This whole experience has taken a lot away from me. Given me a lot of trauma and shit that will never go away. That can only be healed. I still got that same girl in me that wants to conquer the world and do better by- for herself, but without the money and with people coming for my neck," I turn to face Colley, trying to ignore the surprised expression on his face, "I have to ask myself if this last name is something I want to be me."

"I-Alright," he claps his hands together, a somewhat finality to his tone, "So what is your next move, Courtlynn? To escape and think that all of your problems will go away? My father won't be able to see to that, I assure you. Nobody just leaves...this game."

"This world ain't for me, Colley," I shake my head, "I wanna find NJ, and give this all up to Cordyte. The less she knows...or anybody else for that matter, about the money situation- the better. Once she's out of my hair, all the attention will go to her as the new head of the family and I can dip- duck off somewhere else and live my life to the fullest." I shake my hand in his direction, "Clothes. I need them. I can't go outside in this."

Colley opened his mouth then closed it. "Are you sure that you believe it would be in your best interest to leave now?"

"You said it yourself, what yesterday, that I was fine to be discharged- what's the issue now?" I question.

"I thought you were asleep when I said that," I notice I can see his heart beating through his dress shirt as he speaks.

"The room was dark, yes, and my eyes were closed, and it was nighttime. But ever since waking up, um...I don't know, I can barely sleep," I admit miserably.

"The people you've killed plaguing you," his eyes twinkled with amusement.

"No," I say flatly, pushing him out of the room, "Now find me some clothes."

"Was that an excuse to put your hands on me, Ms. Cerbey?" By the back, I move him out of the room and close the door on him. I slide down to the floor, finding myself giggling like a little school girl.

My hospital gown rode up to my hips in this position, the tile cold against my goosebumped skin. I cupped my hand over my mouth, holding out my left hand and fighting the laughter overtaking me. I stared at it, the ring Asany must have given Colley all dainty and pretty on my swollen hand.

I gulped, sliding my bonnet off my head and holding it in my right hand. Gravely, I stare at the floor, the shine just clear enough to see a rough outline of my face but not enough for me to see my features. I was scarred, but I would make a survivor out of myself, out of my pain. Cordyte might take this throne, but she won't take what's left of Courtlynn Cerbey.

And so with my knees to my chest, me, the girl who used to have people to pay to take her down, closed her eyes and prayed. Nothing but my hands clasped together, a sheen of sweat along my forehead, the faint musk of my own body, and my lips moving as I reached back out to the little girl within me. The one who was really going to make things happen from now on, with the help of God.

No more of the other nonsense, it was time I come to my senses.