1

I woke up that morning in the castle with a slight fever. I could tell from the chills that ran through me, yet sweat beaded on my forehead as I tried to calm my shaky hands.

"Alright, just get the day started, you'll be fine." I say softly under my breath, straintening my posture with a small sigh and tying my hair back in a low bun. I undressed from my night gown and put on my usual maid attire: a white button up that I tucked under a long black skirt that buttoned in the back. Already feeling incredibly warm in the outfit, I shrugged it off, leaving my room that I had shared with two other maids.

It was currently 6 AM and breakfast would need to be done by the kitchen staff. With me now being the Lady's assistant, I had to be sure to bring her tea to her right away.

I paced down to the kitchen, not paying much mind to the uneven stride I had and approached the kitchen, noticing the staff already had the cup of tea prepared and ready with the Sanguis Virginis setting beside it.

Being mindful not to spill or drop any of it, I take it back up the stairs, my vision fuzzy and mouth dry as I tried to keep my pace steady. I couldn't leave the Lady waiting.

I hurry to her door and open it, quietly setting the tray down on her nightstand.

"Good morning, M'lady." I say softly to wake her, though caught her golden eyes immediately open to search mine.

I glance away, moving to the window to carefully open the curtains, the dim morning light shining and the clouds darkening overhead. I felt the sweat clinging to my outfit, tugging on the collar of my button up for just a moment before taking the tea and pouring a generous amount of the wine in it.

Lady Dimitrescu sat up with a small stretch, her dark red night gown contrasting well with her features as she watched me closely, noticing the shake in my hands.

"Are you alright, pet?"

I glance over at her for a second before back down at the wine, putting the lid back on and setting it down before handing her the cup of tea.

"Of course, M'lady." I reply, placing my hands together to calm the shaking. My head felt so terribly light, but I didn't let myself crack in front of her.

"Is there anything else you'd like?" I ask and she sighed.

"I suppose get me my dress for the day. The usual white." The Lady says and I obey, walking over to her closet and getting one out. I layed it gently on the bed before about to help her change when she stopped me short.

"I can handle this one today, pet. Go ahead and get a start on your tasks today." Lady Dimitrescu says and I nod, thanking her before leaving the room.

I let out a sigh when I got into the hall, so tempted to tear my clothing off as my skin burned hotter from the fever. I rubbed my temple with a sigh and walked downstairs, steadying myself and holding on to the railing to be sure I wouldn't trip over my own feet.

The first task I had to do was dusting the main hall and then the Lady's bedroom as I do every Tuesday. It was simple work after years of experience, but with being ill, it made it a bit more difficult than usual.

I started cleaning by the stairs, being sure to not miss any spot as I know the Lady wouldn't be pleased if I did. My vision started to swim halfway through the work and I sat down for a moment, not wanting to for too long in case the tall woman would come down stairs and find me, but I knew it would be pointless to try and work at the moment.

I leaned my head against the wall, letting out a small breath and wiped the sweat off my forehead with my apron, needing something to cool down with but our scheduled showers were not till later this evening.