Chapter 1

It all started ten years ago. I was playing in the sandbox when three kids came up to me. They were taller, older, and stronger than I was. There was no way I could've fought back. I, being the naive child I was, asked if they wanted to join me. Before I knew it, two of them were holding me down while the leader was on top of me, pounding my face with his fists. I remember blood flowing from my nose as I begged them to stop. They only laughed in my face. A voice came from behind them, yelling for them to stop. She was amazing. She fought them off with such ease. Little did I know this girl would become my best friend—hell, practically my sister.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Y-yeah. Thank you," I mumbled as I silently sobbed.

"I'll play with you if you want," she said, looking at me with a smile.

"Really? You don't have to. I know you'd probably rather play with your friends than me," I said, looking down a bit.

"I would love to play with you! My name's Lilly! What's yours?" she questioned as she began to play with me.

"Nyx. My name's Nyx," I said with a smile.

"Nyx!" Lilly yelled. Oh god. I did it again.

"Sorry, Lils! What were you saying?" I said with an apologetic smile.

"Like I just said, where did you get this bruise from?" she questioned. Shit. The bruise. I forgot to cover it up.

"O-oh, um, you know me—always hurting myself. I ran into a table the other day!" I said with a smile.

"Liar. Where did you get it from? Tell me now," she pressed.

"I told you where. Now I have to get ready. I don't want to be late for school. Again," I said, trying to avoid it.

The truth is, my lovely tormentors, the Reagan triplets, decided that I would look amazing with a newfound bruise. I honestly don't understand why they hate me so much. I haven't done anything to them. As I got ready, Lilly continued to press. She thinks just because she's two years older than me, she has to be my protective older sister. I truly don't understand why. I can take care of myself perfectly fine.

"Just tell me what happened! I just wanna help you Nyx! Was it the Reagan triplets again? I'll kick their ass and you know it. Just tell me what happened!" She pressed on.

"Okay! Fine! Yes they hit me. Are you happy now?" I say grabbing my stuff and walking out the door, Lils following not far behind.

"Why were you lying about it? Did they threaten you? I swear to God I'm going to kill them!"

"No Lils they didn't threaten me! I can take care of myself! I don't need you to protect me every single time." I said with a huff.

"Look. I don't mind protecting you. You're my best friend, my whole world Nyx. Just let me help you." She said as she got in the front seat and turned the car on.

"I need to learn to stand up for myself Lilly. You're not always going to be there to protect me. What happens when you go to college next year? I can just come to you crying every time they try something. I have to stick up for myself." I say looking at her.

"But you don't stick up for yourself Nyx. I only do it to protect you. You never fight back. I just want you safe." She said with a sigh.

"I'll try harder to stick up for myself but that means you can't fight every single one of my battles for me. Deal?" I say sticking my pinky out.

"Deal." She smiles and we intertwine our pinkies together.

"Good now put on some music and let's hit the road!" I say. The music cuts on and we start our journey to our school. Maybe this year will be different.

Hi you guys! So this is my first story like this. I'm really trying something different and out of my comfort zone so hopefully y'all like it. If you have any tips feel free to tell me in the comments. Stay safe, drink water, eat, sleep, have fun and just know you're always loved! Till next time!
-Barbie 💜🩷💜🩷