Chapter 05: Friends?

mere mann ye bata de tu
kis ore chala hai tu
kya paya nahi tune
kya dhoond raha hai tu

I lie in bed, staring up at the ceiling, waiting for it to start

I lie in bed, staring up at the ceiling, waiting for it to start. It always begins the same way-a soft, barely audible whimper from Abeer's room. I've heard it so many times now that I can tell the exact moment it's about to begin, even in the dead of night. My heart clenches in my chest, and I force myself to breathe evenly, even though I know what's coming. I've gotten used to this, but it doesn't make it any easier.

When the whimpers turn into muffled cries, I'm already up, padding quietly across the hallway to her room. I push the door open gently, not wanting to startle her, but knowing she's too deep in her nightmare to notice. She's thrashing around, tangled in her sheets, her face streaked with tears. It breaks my heart every time I see her like this-so scared, so lost in whatever horrible place her mind has taken her.

"Maan... Maan..." The word slips from her lips, over and over again. I freeze every time I hear it, even though I've heard it a thousand times. "Maan"-Rehman. It used to be her nickname for him back in school, when they were inseparable. I always thought it was just a silly name between friends. But now, hearing it in the middle of the night, with Abeer trapped in some nightmare, it feels like so much more. I just don't know what it means to her or why she's suffering like this.

I sit on the edge of her bed, brushing the hair off her forehead, trying to soothe her. "I'm here, Abeer. It's okay, I'm here." But she doesn't hear me. She's trapped, locked away in a place I can't reach, no matter how hard I try. And I've tried everything-God knows I've tried.

I've thought about telling our parents so many times. I know they'd want to help, but then I remember the way Abeer begged me not to say anything. "Please, Sara, promise me you won't tell anyone." How could I break that promise? How could I betray her like that? I hate keeping this secret, but I can't bring myself to go against her wishes.

I've gone behind her back, though. I couldn't just sit by and do nothing, so I've talked to psychiatrists, trying to find a solution. I've tried every suggestion they've given me-medications, breathing exercises, anything that might help her sleep peacefully. But nothing works. Every night, it's the same thing. The nightmares come, like clockwork, tearing her apart from the inside out.

It's starting to take its toll on her, too. She's more conscious of it now, trying to stay awake as long as she can, avoiding sleep like it's the enemy. The insomnia is wearing her down, stealing away the Abeer I know. She doesn't laugh as much anymore, and when she does, it doesn't reach her eyes. It's like she's slipping away from life, little by little, and I don't know how to stop it.