Chapter 3: The Shadow's Whisper

Emauneml stood at the edge of the chasm, his breath ragged from the fight, the remains of the creature still steaming at his feet. The wind howled through the valley, carrying with it a faint, otherworldly whisper. It was almost as if the darkness beneath the earth was calling to him, inviting him deeper into its maw. He wiped the dark ichor from his sword and gazed down into the depths of the Wound of the World.

He had no choice but to descend further. Whatever was commanding these monsters, it was down there, waiting.

The path into the chasm was treacherous, the loose soil giving way beneath his boots, the air becoming colder and heavier the deeper he went. As he climbed down, the ominous glow from the fissure grew brighter, casting an eerie, reddish hue on the jagged rock walls. Shadows twisted and danced at the edges of his vision, and strange, guttural sounds echoed from the depths. Yet, despite the dread that gnawed at his mind, Emauneml pressed on.

At the bottom of the chasm, the landscape had transformed into something that no longer resembled the world he knew. The ground was cracked and jagged, glowing veins of molten earth pulsed beneath the surface like the beating heart of a great beast. Strange, unnatural formations jutted from the ground—spires of twisted rock and bone, each one pulsating with a dark energy. The atmosphere was thick with the stench of sulfur and decay, and the whispers were louder now, more distinct. It wasn't just the wind. There was something—or someone—speaking to him.

Emauneml moved cautiously, his sword at the ready, as he followed the winding path deeper into the chasm. He could feel the weight of something ancient pressing down on him, something watching from the shadows. The deeper he went, the louder the whispers became, words in a language he could not understand. They gnawed at the edges of his mind, filling his thoughts with doubt, fear, and anger.

"Turn back," the whispers seemed to say. "You cannot win."

But Emauneml knew he had come too far to turn back. The creatures that had destroyed Ciri'ers were born from this darkness, and if he ever hoped to avenge his people, he had to face the source. Yet, the deeper he ventured, the more he began to wonder if it was vengeance driving him—or something else entirely.

Suddenly, the path opened into a vast, underground chamber. The sight before him took his breath away.

At the center of the chamber was a colossal structure—a black obelisk, towering above him like a monument to despair. Its surface was covered in ancient runes, glowing faintly with the same red light that filled the air. Around the obelisk, creatures like the one Emauneml had fought above gathered in silence, their red eyes fixed on the structure, as though they were in a trance.

At the base of the obelisk, a figure stood—a tall, cloaked figure whose presence radiated an aura of power and dread. Its face was hidden beneath a dark hood, but its eyes gleamed with a cold, malevolent intelligence. The whispers that had haunted Emauneml's mind now seemed to flow from this being, filling the chamber with an almost suffocating presence.

"You've come far, mortal," the figure spoke, its voice low and haunting. "But you are not the first to seek vengeance in this place. Nor will you be the last."

Emauneml raised his sword, his eyes narrowing. "Who are you?"

The figure chuckled softly. "I am but a servant, a shadow of the true power that dwells beneath the world. Your kingdom, Ciri'ers, was but the first to fall. Soon, all of them will crumble, and from their ashes, the old gods shall rise."

Emauneml's heart raced. "You're the one controlling these creatures?"

The figure tilted its head slightly. "They are drawn to the power of the Wound. But control? No. They, like you, serve a greater purpose. They are the harbingers of what is to come. You, however... you are different."

The whispers grew louder, more insistent, as if they were trying to drown out the figure's words. Emauneml's grip tightened on his sword, his mind clouded with rage and confusion.

"What do you mean?" Emauneml growled.

The figure took a step forward, its presence looming like a dark cloud. "You are touched by the Wound, whether you realize it or not. Every step you take deeper into this place binds you closer to it. It speaks to you, calls to you, as it has to many before you. But you are stronger than most. You have survived what others could not. That is why you are here—to serve a purpose beyond your understanding."

Emauneml's mind raced as the figure's words sank in. He could feel it now—the pull of the Wound, the darkness that clung to him, whispering in his thoughts, clouding his judgment. He had felt it since that night in Ciri'ers, the night the creatures came. But he had never acknowledged it, not until now.

"No!" Emauneml roared, pushing back the whispers that clawed at his mind. "I am here to destroy the monsters that took everything from me!"

The figure laughed, a cold, hollow sound that echoed through the chamber. "You cannot destroy what you have already become a part of, Emauneml. The Wound has marked you, as it marks all who come here