Lorraine

My name is Lorraine Willow, and I am a mother to a remarkable 17-year-old girl named Lilia. Each day, I marvel at her unique way of seeing the world—her heart is that of a child, even though her body is that of a young woman. To many, this might seem like a challenge, but to me, it's a gift.

Lilia's father (my ex husband), couldn't handle the reality of raising a child with an intellectual disability. He left when Lilia was just a toddler, unable to cope with the judgment and stigma surrounding our daughter. They barely had a chance to know each other, and that still breaks my heart. But it's Lilia and me now, and that's all that matters.

Our life together is far from conventional. While my friends and just other mothers to their own children tell me that Lilia should be in a regular school, that she needs to "grow up" and conform to societal expectations, I can't help but feel that they don't truly understand her. Lilia's perspective is pure and beautiful, and I cherish the moments we share in our home.

I've heard it all. The criticism, the unsolicited advice about teaching Lilia to live as her age dictates, and the warnings about her future. They say I'm coddling her, that I'm setting her up for failure. But I know in my heart that I'm doing what's best for her. Our homeschooling environment allows Lilia to learn and grow at her own pace, in a space where she feels safe and loved.

Every day with Lilia is a lesson in patience and joy. Her laughter, her curiosity, her tender view of the world; they are all reminders of what truly matters. I wouldn't trade our life for anything. It's not always easy, but it's filled with a love that is as deep as it is unique.

This is my way of sharing our journey, of documenting the love and challenges we face. I hope it helps others understand the beauty in our everyday life and the strength it takes to embrace and celebrate what makes us different.

Lorraine 🌸