21 | 𝙽𝚘𝚝𝚎

Blood. Slit throat. Black dagger. Blood. Altar. Zia's rolled eyes. Blood. Bucket. Hooded figures. Blood. Blood. Blood.

The young boy with the golden hair—crying, screaming 'STOP!'. The hooded figure with the black dagger—crouching in front of him, consoling him and saying 'We're doing this for you'.

If they did it for him, didn't that make him the culprit too? Didn't that make him one of the monsters I ought to destroy too? But then. . .

Why did he cry like his soul was being shredded to pieces? Like it was him bleeding at the altar? Like it was his life that was forever taken from him that day?

I don't understand any of this.

Blood blood blood. That's the only thing I see.

~ from the journal entries of Daisy

--------᪥-------

☘︎ Eᴠᴇ Kᴀᴠɪɴsᴋʏ ☘︎

A person wasn't supposed to be obsessed with one single breathless moment after a lifetime of ordinary breathing. They weren't supposed to be addicted as though the moment was a curse woven into their soul but their wretched self didn't mind it one bit. They weren't supposed to be restless by the fact that the weaver of the curse refused to meet their eyes after casting the curse and all they wanted was to grab his jaw, demand answers or kiss him again—

"Did something happen between you and Xel?" Victoria's question is a result of calculated observance. She stares down at the rolled-egg I dropped onto her plate with curiosity, stabs the fork into it and brings it to her mouth. There's not much of a reaction but by the surprise in her eyes, I think she likes it.

I smile, then remember the question she asked and turn around towards the stove to avoid her inquisitive gaze.

"Probably fucked." Nikolai comments like a heathen, entering the kitchen and settling down beside Victoria. "Or french kissed or went down on—"

I whirl around with the spatula in my hand and smack him with it on the back of his head, "For Newton's sake, act your age, kid! Stop being so inappropriate."

"Innapropriately sexy? I agree." Nikolai grins like a fiend on steroids, "But am I right or am I right?" He places a hand on his heart, suddenly acting dramatic. "I'm jealous. You broke my poor, tiny heart."

I go to smack him with the spatula once more and he dodges so effortlessly, it makes me wonder whether he let me get a hit the first time on purpose. In a move complicated yet somehow seeming easy, he snatches the spatula from my hand, twirls it between his fingers, places a few leaves on it strategically from the salad laid atop the counter and presents the makeshift flower to Vicky. "For you, viper."

Viper?

Victoria watches the creation like one would a dead cabbage, then goes back to eating her breakfast instead. Nikolai's eyes sparkle at her reaction. He likely has some strange fetish for woman who put him in his place.

I sigh, shaking my head before being struck by a sudden realization.

"I never told you how I know Nikolai." I start, focusing my attention on Vicky. "He's my bestfriend's younger brother."

Victoria continues chewing on her food silently, "I'm aware."

Right, this girl keeps tabs on everything and everyone around her. Why am I not surprised?