𝟢𝟧| 𝖡𝖺𝖼𝗄 𝗍𝗈 𝖲𝖼𝗁𝗈𝗈𝗅

𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐎 𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐎 𝐉𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒
𝐌𝐀𝐂𝐎𝐍, 𝐆𝐀.

Mateo sat frozen in the passenger seat of his brother's car, too afraid to even step foot on school grounds. But he couldn't let his brother see his fear as he tried to appear braver than he felt.

However, Malachi sensed his brother's anxiety and didn't want to rush him. Yet, Malachi had his own time constraints to consider - he had to get to his own school, 15 minutes away, and arrive on time.

"You called Peyton? She here yet?" Malachi inquired, noticing the concern etched on his brother's face. "I'm not try'na depend on her too much. People come and go. What im'a do on the days when she don't come to school? I needa learn on my own." Mateo explained.

"How 'bout you stop overthinking and think about what's happening right here, right now. Is she here right now today is what i'm asking." He said and Mateo nodded with his natural mug, slightly more bold. "Then go find her. I'm sure she need you just as much as you need her to get through the day. It's the first day back. Don't be so hard on yourself. Eventually, y'all both gon' be healed enough to walk alone. You thinking too deep."

With a huff, Mateo climbed out of the passenger seat and shut the door behind him, just as Malachi pulled away from the curb.

As he watched the car disappear into the morning traffic, Mateo pulled out his phone to call Peyton, but before he could even dial her number, she appeared beside him. He noticed the natural frown she normally carried was much deeper than usual.

"Good morning?" Mateo said, his tone laced with concern, as Peyton didn't respond, just stood there, forcing a smile that wasn't genuine at all and her eyes were really red and puffy.

"Good morning," she muttered finally, her voice barely above a whisper. She tried her hardest to fight her tears after speaking up but, they just began to pour.

"What's wrong?" Mateo asked, moving his head to follow her eyes as she tried to hide her face from him, but Peyton just shook her head, unable to speak.

"You ain't answer my texts, and now you sittin' here cryin'." His words trailed off as Peyton's sniffled, wiping her face. "Something happened at home or you just don't wanna be here?" He asked.

"Both."

"You wanna talk about it?" He asked and Peyton shook her head with her arms crossed over her body while her hands clung onto her shoulders for support.

The warning bell rang, signaling that they needed to hurry and get to class. "We finna' be late. Let's go," Mateo said as he quickened his pace. Peyton fell into step beside him, still feeling a little down from not only her parents but, the school. The shooting had clearly changed this place.

As they walked through the school gates, Mateo turned to her, his expression softening. "You can come to my house and visit anytime...for however long you want. You know that, right?" he asked and Peyton nodded.

Mateo was just trying to offer her an escape from her toxic family. It was the least he could do. The control they had over her was out of his control.

Besides, despite feeling like he's talking to a brick wall, Mateo found solace in Peyton's presence. Having her by his side made him feel less alone in his struggles.

Everyone copes with trauma and grief differently, and Mateo's approach was vastly distinct from his friend group. While Peyton's struggles were more internal, Mateo faced the added challenge of navigating his relationships and friendships with others.