Chapter 1

Lyra stood on the hill overlooking the pack's territory, her heart racing with anticipation. The full moon cast its silver glow over the landscape, making the trees and meadows shimmer in an ethereal light. Tonight was supposed to be the culmination of everything she’d been feeling for so long—the night she would finally confess her love to Aiden. They had grown up together, sharing countless memories and dreams, but now, she hoped for more than just friendship.

Aiden was already at their meeting spot, the old oak tree that had been their sanctuary since childhood. He was pacing back and forth, his broad shoulders tense under the moonlight. Lyra’s breath caught as she watched him, taking in the sight of his dark hair tousled by the wind and his piercing eyes that seemed to hold a world of secrets. The way he moved, so effortlessly commanding attention, made her heart skip a beat.

“Lyra!” Aiden’s voice called out, cutting through the quiet of the night. “You’re late.”

She forced a smile, descending the hill with a mix of nervous excitement. “Only by a few minutes,” she said, trying to sound casual. “Couldn’t wait to see me?”

Aiden’s grin was warm, but there was a flicker of unease in his eyes that Lyra couldn’t ignore. He gestured for her to join him under the sprawling branches of the oak tree. They had spent so many nights here, talking about their futures, their dreams, and the bond they shared. But tonight, it felt different. The weight of her confession made the air thick with tension.

They sat down beneath the tree, the familiar scent of earth and pine enveloping them. Aiden leaned back against the trunk, his eyes closing as if he were trying to calm himself. Lyra’s fingers fidgeted with the hem of her dress, her palms growing clammy with sweat. She could hardly believe that this moment, which had been so long in coming, was finally here.

“I need to talk to you,” she blurted out, her voice trembling despite her effort to remain steady.

Aiden opened one eye and looked at her with curiosity. “What’s up?”

Lyra took a deep breath, feeling her resolve falter. “I’ve been thinking a lot about us. About you and me.”

Aiden’s eyes opened fully, his expression shifting from curiosity to concern. “Lyra, we’ve been friends forever. You know you can tell me anything.”

She nodded, her heart pounding as she gathered her courage. “Aiden, I’ve come to realize that what I feel for you goes beyond friendship. I think we’re fated mates.”

The words hung in the air between them, and for a moment, the world seemed to hold its breath. Aiden’s expression shifted from confusion to something unreadable, and he straightened up, his brow furrowing. The intensity of the moment made Lyra’s heart race even faster.

“Lyra…” Aiden’s voice was a mix of confusion and concern.

She pressed on, desperate to fill the silence and explain her feelings. “I’ve felt this connection between us for a long time. It’s more than just a pull—it’s a certainty that we’re meant to be together, not just as friends but as something more.”

Aiden’s gaze hardened, and he looked away, running a hand through his tousled hair. “Lyra, I...”

Her voice wavered as she tried to read his expression. “What is it, Aiden? Do you feel it too? I know it’s strong. It’s been there all along.”

Aiden’s face was a mask of regret and confusion. “Lyra, I didn’t know you felt this way. I’ve been... involved with other people. I wasn’t prepared for this. I didn’t even know how to handle it.”

The impact of his words was like a physical blow. Lyra’s heart sank, and she stared at him, struggling to process the rejection. The moonlight seemed to dim around her as the reality of his words settled in.