Chapter One: Sparks Fly

Elena Rivers stood at the edge of the rooftop bar, the lights of the city twinkling beneath her. Manhattan was everything she dreamed of—fast-paced, thrilling, and full of opportunities. This night marked her fresh start. New job, new apartment, new life. It was supposed to be the beginning of a chapter where the messy past she left behind would finally stop haunting her.

With a champagne flute in hand, she took a deep breath, savoring the crisp night air. The city pulsed with life below her, and for a moment, Elena allowed herself to believe that maybe this time, she could leave it all behind. Maybe Leo was truly a part of her past now.

Leo. The name alone sent a shiver down her spine, a mix of longing and fear swirling inside her chest. Their relationship had been wild, chaotic, and intense. He had loved her in a way no one else had—possessive, overwhelming, and all-consuming. It had been thrilling at first, the way he could make her feel like the only woman in the world, but as time passed, that love became suffocating.

She'd ended things with him months ago. Or tried to. But Leo never truly left. His presence loomed over her like a shadow, creeping into every corner of her life. Texts. Calls. Flowers. Little reminders that he wasn't finished with her. She tried to shake the thought of him, but even now, standing on this rooftop in her new city, the ghost of him lingered.

"Elena?" a smooth voice interrupted her thoughts.

She turned to see Adrian, her new coworker. Tall, handsome, and effortlessly charming. He was the kind of man she needed—someone stable, someone who could make her forget the madness of her past. His eyes gleamed as he took a step closer, his presence warming her in a way that made her forget, if only for a moment, the chill Leo had left behind.

"You looked a little lost up here," Adrian said with a playful smile. "Care for some company?"

Elena returned his smile, grateful for the distraction. "I'd like that."

They spent the next hour talking, laughing, and sipping champagne. Adrian was different. He was safe, charming, and easy to be around. His flirtation was subtle but intentional, a far cry from the intensity she was used to with Leo. It felt good. It felt normal. She needed normal.

As the night wore on, Adrian leaned in closer, his hand lightly brushing against her back. The spark between them was undeniable, and Elena felt her body hum with anticipation. She hadn't felt this way in a long time—this thrill of a new connection, the excitement of a budding romance.

"Let's get out of here," Adrian whispered, his breath warm against her ear.

Elena's heart raced, but for the first time in months, it wasn't from fear or anxiety. It was pure, electric excitement. She nodded, letting him guide her off the rooftop and into the cool night.

They ended up at a quiet bar down the street, where the intimacy of the setting allowed the tension between them to grow. Adrian's hand found hers under the table, his thumb lightly stroking the back of her hand. Every touch sent a jolt through her, and she could feel the pull of desire growing stronger with every passing moment.

Their conversation turned more playful, more charged. Adrian's eyes darkened as he leaned in closer, his lips just inches from hers. Elena's breath hitched, her body aching for the kiss she knew was coming.

And then, her phone buzzed.

Elena's stomach dropped. She already knew who it was before she even looked. Her hand trembled as she pulled out her phone, the screen flashing with a message from an unknown number.

*Miss me?*

Her heart raced, not with excitement, but with fear. Leo.

"Elena?" Adrian's voice broke through the haze. "Everything okay?"

She quickly turned off her phone, plastering on a smile. "Yeah, everything's fine."

But it wasn't. It never was.

The night ended with Adrian walking her home, his arm wrapped protectively around her waist. At her apartment door, he kissed her—slow, tender, and filled with promise. It was everything she wanted. But as his lips moved over hers, the thrill of the kiss was overshadowed by the pit in her stomach.

When she finally stepped inside her apartment, she froze. A single red rose lay on the floor in front of her door. There was no note, no card. But she didn't need one.

Leo was back. And he wasn't going to let her go so easily.