Chapter 2

Maria Thorn

I needed that sleep. Most people never get a chance to fly in their life, but I have flown a few times as a child, and this one is my first international flight. I am not sure what makes you tired, but for me it is having everyone around me, people that I don't Know, the pushing, pulling, talking, and so much more. I heard in some people it can cause anxiety, I am not sure if I am such a case, i just know I became at some point a hermit. Sometimes one incident can destroy your take on life.

When I look at the time, it is barely 5 in the morning. I take a shower and brush my teeth. Most people will say its disgusting to take a shower, and brush your teeth, but I think it saves time and water. Believe it or not, most people let the faucet run while they brush their teeth, I might as well do it under the shower if I am already underneath it. I put on some black linen pants, a black long sleeve shirt, and a pair of sneakers. From the dresser I take my backpack, taking out all the unnecessary things, and loading it with my composition notebooks, sun blocker, sun glasses, an empty bottle, passport, and a few other things. I check the room one last time for things that I may have missed and leave with room key in hand, putting it in my wallet.

I pass by the front desk and a young man greets me which I reply in the same manner.
"Good morning, do you have by any chance a water dispenser?"
"Yes, it is in the buffet area, you can go in an refill bottles whenever needed," he replies with a thick Portuguese accent, nonetheless his grammar is good, "the buffet will open in about 30 minutes."
"Thank you. Do you know where I can get a map of Lisbon?"
"Overthere is a rack with flyers for attractions, it offers also a map of Lisbon, and shows the most important things you can see in downtown area. If you bring a card over, I can circle where we are right now."
I go over to the rack, pick up a map, and bring it back to the young, who marks in the map the area where the hotel is.
"Thank you."
"Your welcome miss."

Filing up my bottle I notice the staff preparing breakfast. Intercontinental breakfast is overrated, it is for those that are scared of local food. There is no point in having it if you are in a foreign country, you are supposed to try the local delicacies. Aside from that, I am not someone who indulges in breakfast, my dad used to say it would be the most important meal of the day, I never shared his opinion, and I still don't do it, I guess that won't change.

The staff member preparing the buffet greet me and I give them a simple nod. No point in talking, they have to greet you to be polite, but not because they want to.
"Good morning, hot weather later today," Her accent is just as heavy as from the young male receptionist.
"Oh really?! How warm will it be?"
"30°C." Her answer is short, which leads me to believe that her English isn't very good, but personally I don't care a bit since I don't speak Portuguese.
I check on my phone what the temperature is in Fahrenheit. It will be some 86°F, I know what she was thinking, I should change, but this is a no go, I have made a mission of mine for the past six years to cover my arms and legs.

I walk out of the breakfast buffet area into the fresh air. Nothing is better than inhaling fresh air early morning in a foreign place and taking the chance to walk around and go find things to see. Since there is a fresh breeze I take advantage to go to the beach before beach guest arrive.

When the crowd of people start to enter the beach, I go over to the Cais de Colunas. It is a tourist attraction, no one knows really when the quay was built, but the columns were replaced sometime in the late 1920s. Close by are some smaller shops and restaurants. After my extended time of walking and not having eaten yet, I decide to stop at a restaurant that is open. Restaurant Marino - Mediterranean food, I walk in and the place is empty with exception of one server. The server tells me something, but I don't understand anything. I ask if he speaks eventually English and he answers with: "Yes, I speak English. I am alone here. The cook is late today, I can only offer you something to drink and pastry."
"That is fine. Do you have WiFi that I could use?"
"Take a seat wherever you want to and I will come with the menu and the WiFi information."