Chapter 1: The Red Wedding

The storm raged outside, thunder booming like a warning from the heavens, but inside the grand halls of the Gremory mansion, the air was thick with dread and resignation. Rain lashed the tall, tinted windows of the bridal chamber where Rias Gremory sat, her heart sinking deeper with every passing moment. The white wedding gown draped over her body felt more like a shroud than a symbol of joy.

This wedding wasn’t her choice.

Her family had forced this upon her, pressuring her to marry Riser Phoenix, a man she despised—a man who saw her as nothing more than a trophy to claim. She’d fought against it, had even placed her hopes in her trusted peerage, her greatest warrior. But it was all for nothing. Even he, her strongest knight, had fallen in the Rating Game, refusing to use his full power until the very end. By then, it was too late. His transformation had failed, and his sword had fallen from his hands, leaving Rias no more choices.

Now, here she was, preparing to walk into her own undoing.

As Rias adjusted her gown, her crimson hair cascading like a waterfall over her shoulders, the door to her chamber opened with a soft hiss. Grayfia, the ever-stoic maid of the Gremory household, stepped inside. The silver-haired maid’s expression was as icy as usual, but her eyes softened for a brief moment when she saw Rias.

"Are you ready, Lady Rias?" Grayfia’s voice was smooth but carried the weight of inevitability.

Rias barely glanced up. “Ready to marry a man I loathe? Ready to watch him turn my peerage into his playthings? No, Grayfia, I’m not ready.”

Grayfia paused, letting Rias’s words settle in the air. Normally, she would have rebuked her, reminded her of her duty to the family, but today was different. Today, even Grayfia seemed to understand the depth of Rias’s despair.

“There’s nothing I can do,” Rias continued, her voice a whisper. “It’s over.”

Grayfia, uncharacteristically, offered a thin smile. “Not all of your peerage is here yet. One is running late. Perhaps he has something to say.”

Rias blinked, unsure of what Grayfia meant, but dismissed it. It didn’t matter. No one could change what was about to happen. Not now.

With a heavy sigh, she stepped into the magic circle Grayfia had prepared for her. The magic flared to life, transporting her instantly to the ceremony hall where her future awaited.

The wedding itself unfolded as expected—empty words, false vows, the hollow rituals of a life she did not want. Riser Phoenix stood at the altar, his arrogant grin never faltering, eyes gleaming with victory as if he had already won. He had. Her fate was sealed.

The officiant, a high-ranking Devil, droned on, the words of union blending into the background of Rias’s despair. Her mind wandered, imagining the future she would endure—endless days as Riser’s wife, her peerage enslaved under his control.

Then, the officiant’s voice cut through her thoughts: “If anyone has any reason why these two should not be joined in matrimony, speak now or forever hold your—”

CRASH!

The grand doors of the church exploded inward, splintering into pieces as a figure stepped through the debris. The air crackled with tension, and gasps echoed through the hall as all eyes turned toward the intruder.

There he stood—Issei Hyoudou. His black trench coat flared dramatically in the storm’s wind, his Kuoh Academy uniform peeking out from underneath. But it wasn’t his appearance that caught everyone’s attention. It was the look in his eyes—a fiery defiance that blazed brighter than any devilish power in the room.

“I object!” Issei’s voice thundered, filling the room with a force that made even the walls tremble.

Rias’s heart stopped.

Before anyone could react, Issei reached behind his back and pulled out a sword, pointing it toward the sky with unwavering conviction. His voice rang out, filled with determination and power, “By the power of Grayskull!”

A brilliant flash of lightning tore through the dark sky, piercing the clouds above. The ceiling of the church shattered, raining stone and glass as a bolt of divine energy struck Issei directly. For a split second, time seemed to freeze as the power surged through his body.

Then, in the blink of an eye, Issei transformed.

The scrawny teenager that had once stood before them was gone. In his place was a man, taller by at least five inches, his muscles swelling with newfound strength. His body radiated a golden aura, pulsating with the energy of the lightning that had struck him. Armor materialized around him, a silver harness stretching across his broad chest, holding a massive “H” symbol at its center. His legs were encased in armored pants, and his boots gleamed like polished steel. The black trench coat still clung to his shoulders, but he threw it off with a dramatic flair, letting it fall to the floor.

Riser’s cocky grin faltered, his eyes widening in disbelief. “What... what is this?!”

The man ignored him. He raised his sword high, his voice booming louder than the storm outside. “I HAVE THE POWER!”

The entire church seemed to tremble at his words, the sheer force of his will radiating outward. Rias stood frozen at the altar, her heart racing. Issei wasn’t just defying Riser—he was challenging fate itself.

The man pointed his sword directly at Riser, the blade gleaming with power. “This wedding is over.”

Riser growled, his flames igniting around him, but there was something in his eyes now—fear.