Chapter IX

The dinner was unsettlingly pleasant

The dinner was unsettlingly pleasant. It wasn't just because Will was here but it was also because Dax was. Every minute and every bite I took made me nervous.

What if they found out that Dax and I had kissed?

I don't know why it bothered me, but it did. I didn't think that I was the type to just jump on men and kiss them, but I guess with Dax it was different?

Inner me shook her head, violently. No no, there was no way he was different. I mean I've seen him do things for me that an average man would be too egotistical to do. I didn't know anymore.

"I've got ice cream," Nick said, making my thoughts evaporate almost immediately.

People nowadays make ice cream sound like something you'd eat if you were depressed or sad. I wouldn't agree but on this occasion I think ice cream's the only thing that could make me happy.

I followed Maddie and the guys out of the room, leaving Will and Dax behind.

I couldn't help but take a last look at him. He gave me a knowing look as a smile tugged on the corners of his lips.

I quickly looked away, feeling Will's eyes on me.

Was it safe to leave the two of them alone in a room? No. Could I do anything about it? No.

We made our way to the living room and Maddie sat down on the couch. I slumped down next to her, exhaling loudly.

She laughed. "It sucks that Rhea couldn't make it," she said, resting her head on the headrest of the couch. Suddenly, Nick was in front of her, holding out a cup.

"She's working a night shift at her internship," he informed, looking rather bummed.

It was almost like just Rhea's name itself could summon him.

I gave him a look. "What? Don't worry, bro, we're not shit-talking your girlfriend. You can go now," I said sarcastically as I looked up at him.

He raised an eyebrow. "I was just trying to give you your ice cream, jeez. What's up your ass?" he asked, annoyed as he handed me the cup.

I press my lips into an apologetic smile. "Sorry. But we still know you lingered because you heard us say her name. Don't lie, I know you better than that," I say with a proud look on my face.

Nick shakes his head in utter disbelief and walks away.

My gaze turned to Jace who had a hold of the remote and was now flipping through channels, trying to find something that would hold his attention for more than five minutes.

Nick threw himself down onto the cushion on the floor and got comfortable. I smiled, glad that I had these guys in my life. They might be true pain in the asses but they really made life worth living.

"Why was Dax here?" Maddie casually asked all of a sudden.

His name coming out of her mouth was what scared me all evening.