Wishes

I have a lot of free time now. With the school chapter officially over, growing up feels a bit more real. What do you mean I'm not a kid anymore? I still feel like I'm stuck in high school. All because of that pandemic shit. I jump out of my bed, desperate to do something I take out a pen and a notebook. After staring at the blank sheet for a while I decide what I'm going to write.

A bucket list.

By the time I finish writing I have seventeen things to do. The number one being a bookstore date. I check the time in my phone. 11:01am. Perfect.

After a lot of brain wracking I've decided what I'm going to wear. A beige shirt and a chocolate brown skirt which reaches till my mid-thigh. Depressed but well dressed. I wink at myself in the mirror. I grab my book bag and my phone from the table and make my way downstairs.

"Where are you going?" A voice drawls from across the living room, just as I stepped down from the stairs. I look around at the direction of the voice and see Oscar leaning against the kitchen wall.

"Yes. Good Morning to you too." I say, ignoring his question. I walk pass him to the kitchen and find my mom and Auntie Augusta baking cookies. "Mhm. It smells heavenly."

The mothers giggle at me. "Don't worry we'll see if we can save a piece or two for you." My mother said, laughing. "Where to?"

"The bookstore. How do I look? Gorgeous, no?" I posed in what I guess was a sexy stance, when I heard Oscar cough behind me which sounded suspiciously close to a laugh. I turned back to glare at him. He just mock surrendered with his hands in the air. The mothers started laughing at us. "Yes, Della. You look very gorgeous." Auntie Augusta said, her eyes glinting with humor.

"Atleast someone in the house appreciates me." I rolled my eyes jokingly and kissed my mother on her cheeks. "Bye. See you guys at lunch. Love you. "

"Hey. Are you going on a date?" Oscar tags along, upon reaching my car he comes between me and the door. "Yes." I said, taking out the keys from my bag. "Why do you ask?"

"With whom?" He tries to sound casual but I've known him since we were kids. I can sense the strain in his voice. "Stop caring, Oscar." I sigh. "I'm going on a solo date." As if I just offered him the latest Xbox series S, his face lit up instantly. "Can I join?" he asked me with what I think was a very poor attempt at puppy face. I laugh. "Fine. You drive then." I tossed over the keys to him and swatted his arm as he grinned at me.

"After you." He says, holding the car door open for me. We walk inside the bookstore in silence. Not the awkward kind of silence. But a comfortable one. He watches me intently as I skim through books. "What's wrong?" I ask him. He shakes his head, "Nothing." I look at him with narrowed eyes and then continue going through the books.

"Are you going to seriously buy all of that?" Oscar said, eyeing the dozen something books in my bag. "Yes." I smile at him sweetly. I put the the bag on the counter. The lady greets me with a smile and starts billing my books. "Let me pay for it." Oscar nudged me with his elbow, pushing me aside to pay the bill. "Hey, you don't have to do that." I mumble. "I know." he says. "But I want to."

I say nothing. What more could I say? I've tried to stay away from him. Really. But he makes it hard for me to stay away with his easy charms and considerate acts. He makes it easier to just let it go and fall back in his arms. But I can't. I can't do that to him when I can't promise him forever. Because that's what he deserves. I suddenly realized that I had been staring at him this entire time. He cocks an eyebrow at me.

"Nothing." I smile at him. "Do you wanna go to our favorite cafe?"

After being stuck in the traffic for twenty-three minutes (Oscar counted it) we finally reached Creme&cone's . When we were in middle school we used to come here all the time because of their amazing smoothies. Walking back inside feels like stepping into memory lane.

"Remember that one time we brought Sarah with us and you went over there-" I pointed at the karaoke stage, "- and started singing that titanic song to impress her?" I laughed. He wrinkled his nose. "Yeah. God, that was embarrassing." I laugh again, shaking my head I find us a booth and take our seats. "Hmm. What shall we order?" I ask. "I'll take chocolate smoothie." Oscar says. "Too basic. I'll take a oreo shake." I counter.

After we place our orders we lapse into silence. Oscar's fiddling with his phone. And I just look at him. "Take a picture that'll last longer," he smirked. My cheeks redden instantly. Busted. "Huh." I look away. And he keeps grinning at me. Jeez, he's so annoying.

"By the way," he starts while sipping his chocolate shake. "Why did you suddenly decide to go on a solo date?" I look up at him, "Just because I felt like it." I shrug. He assessed me with squinted eyes for awhile and then said, "I don't believe that."

"I made a bucket list." There, I said it. he looks at me for sometime as if contemplating something. "Do you have more things there?" he asks finally. "Yes." I reply. He nods and looks at me. His expressions unreadable. And almost instantly I make a decision. I know I will regret it later. But, fuck it. I'd rather do all these with him than with any one else.

"Hey, Oscar." He looks up at me questioningly. "Do you want to complete my bucket list with me?"