A Symbol Of Substance

Bret and I were inseparable on Friday. I helped him with his laundry, and we did dishes together. Bret and Barney left to run an errand together after breakfast, on Saturday morning. They were gone for about two hours.

Barney and Ruby went out on a date that evening. They were going to a movie, followed by a late supper. Raina was hanging out with friends. Bret and I were on the couch. We were snuggled up, making out. We may have been getting carried away. Bret paused our kissing.

"Elise, do you consider yourself the marrying type?"

"As long as I'm marrying you," I said playfully.

Bret adjusted his position. He reached into the front pocket of his jeans, and pulled out a ring – a simple diamond solitaire, in a yellow-gold setting. The stone was about three-tenths of a carat. I gasped, and moved off of his lap. He stood, and dropped to one knee in front of me.

"Elise, I'm this serious about staying with you. Will you do me the honor?" I was speechless. I nodded, and held out my left hand. He slid the ring onto my ring finger. We snuggled, and kissed a few more times. I wanted to fall asleep in his arms.

We woke up later to find Barney, Ruby, and Raina staring at us. Raina was grinning, and Ruby was in tears.

Barney said, "Welcome to the family."

We visited Robert and Helen Sunday afternoon.

I approached my friends in the hallway at school on Monday morning. As I walked up, I carefully covered my left hand with my right, to conceal my ring.

"Hey, Elise!" Cordelia said. "Where have you been?"

"I spent the weekend with the Whitakers. I was able to have a traditional turkey dinner. You will never believe where stuffing comes from."

Bernadette was brooding.

I asked, "What's up with her?"

"You missed the annual gathering. Bernadette was insulted."

Bernadette snarked, "She will never be as beautiful as me." I gave her a quizitive look.

Cordelia explained, "Jefferson Talmage was bragging about their daughter, Amanda. Jefferson made a bet with Bernadette's dad, an entire case of Chateau Petrus, 1953, that Amanda will become Dick Ryndon's girl."

Bernadette groused, "There is no way that snot-nosed twelve year old will ever look as good as me. ME! I'm the most beautiful girl in this whole state! Amanda Talmage will always have to settle for second-best!"

I carefully moved my right hand away from my left. I moved so the light would catch the diamond in my ring. Cordelia saw it immediately.

"Elise, did you get a new ring?"

I held up my left hand and I grinned. Cordelia tapped Bernadette on the arm.

"Elise, is that an heirloom?"

"Guess again."

"It couldn't be an engagement ring."

"Yes it is."

"Are you actually engaged?"

"Mm-hmm" I nodded. I was still grinning. Bret walked up beside me, and put his arm around my waist.

Bernadette snarked, "Don't tell us you got that from him!" I turned my head. Bret and I kissed.

He asked, "Do we need to send wedding invitations to either of you?" They turned facing away from us. Bret kissed me again, and we walked away.

By the time lunch started, word had spread through my old society. Not one of them would even look at me. Bret's friends had also heard what had happened. Raina joined us for lunch as well.

"Elise, are you all right?"

"I'm good. I knew what was coming."

"Weren't they your friends?"

"They are a bunch of phonies. You all are the most real friends I have ever had." Several of them hugged me.

After school, our study group gathered at Brian's. We had a test coming up. His girlfriend, Kylee, made pizza poppers for us.