Mind's hunter

You are at the park with your friends—Prayut, Petra, Cindy, Lucas, and Vicente—scattered around and mingling with kids you don't know, two girls and three boys, all under the warm sun.

Laughter echoes through the air, vibrant and infectious. You notice Petra clutching her doll tightly, her face a mask of unease, overwhelmed by the unfamiliar crowd.

Beside you, Vicente stifles a yawn, clearly uninterested in the games unfolding around him, his laziness almost a tangible presence.

Suddenly, one of the boys, eyes gleaming with excitement, points toward the forest.

Boy: Why don't we play hide and seek? In the forest!

You see the adventure in his proposal, a new territory to conquer. Your heart leaps at the idea, and you don't hesitate.

Lysander: Sounds awesome! Let's go for it!

Cindy, hardly ever backing down from a challenge, nods vigorously, her pigtails bouncing. Prayut's face splits into a wide grin, already plotting his hiding strategy.

But Petra frowns, her voice soft and hesitant, tugging at your sleeve.

Petra: But, Lysander, it's dark in there...

You pat her hand gently, offering a reassuring smile.

Lysander: Don't worry, we'll stick together. It'll be fun, you'll see!

Vicente, on the other hand, sighs heavily. His voice is light, but there's a hint of reluctance in it. You chuckle, knowing how he is.

Vicente: Do we have to? I was comfortable right here...

Lysander: You're not getting out of this one. Come on, it'll be fun.

As you all head toward the forest, the shadows of the trees seem to dance, inviting you into a world of mystery and play.

The thrill of the game ahead sparks a fire in your belly, eager to explore the unknown.

Reaching the edge of the forest, Prayut takes charge, his voice bubbling with excitement.

Prayut: I'll count! Everyone hide!

He claps his hands and turns away, beginning his count, and the rest of you scatter.

You notice Vicente hesitating, his eyes wide as he looks around—everyone has darted off in different directions, and he stands frozen.

You quickly grab his hand, pulling him along with a reassuring grin.

Lysander: Come on, this way!

You both dash deeper into the woods, leaves crunching underfoot, until you find a thick bush that looks perfect for hiding. Ducking behind it, you both crouch down, breaths heavy from the run.

He looks at you, relief washing over his face.

Vicente: Thanks, Lyss. I didn't know where to go.

His gratitude is evident, his smile genuine and a little shy. You just nod.

You and Vicente huddle behind the thick bush, your giggles muffled by your hands as you both try to stay quiet. Vicente's eyes sparkle with amusement, a contrast to his usual reserved demeanor.

Lysander: Shhh, they'll hear us!

But even as you say it, you can't help but chuckle, the excitement of the game making it hard to keep silent.

Suddenly, the ground trembles beneath you. Your heart skips a beat—not from the game, but from fear as the earth begins to shake violently.

Without thinking, you act, pushing Vicente to the ground for safety. Your body covers his, shielding him from any falling debris.