Flashback: Miranda's Story

PRESENT DAY

Miranda slumps in the soft fabric of the sofa. "Sometimes I wonder why I got myself into all of this mess with William."

Her therapist furrows his eyebrows. "Do you ever feel that you regret marrying him?"

She sighs. "No, not at all. I love him. But before knowing what I know now, and before we even met.. I suppose life just felt a bit less complicated."

He clicks his pen rhythmically. "Hm. Tell me more about that. What was your life like before you met your husband?"

She looks down, her hands clasped together tightly. "It was hell."

2016- HOUSE PARTY

Miranda's eyes are trained on the table in front of her as she cuts her next line of cocaine. She ignores the men approaching her, growing increasingly more annoyed as time goes on. 

A man pulls a chair up next to her, the screech of the legs across the floor making her cringe. 

"Hey pretty lady," He starts. "How about you let me show you a good time?" 

Miranda rolls her eyes. "How about you give me a pickup line different than the guy from 5 minutes ago?" She retorts. 

He scoffs as he gets up and walks away. "Bitch." 

Miranda shakes her head and continues cutting more lines. 

William sits on the opposite end of the basement. Women have had his attention all night, and he was beginning to get bored of their flirtatious advances. He excuses himself from his latest attraction, and begins walking around the house looking for anything even slightly more entertaining than the slew of random women and drugs he keeps finding himself in the midst of. 

During his walk around with a few friends he made throughout the night, he catches sight of the only girl sitting by herself. She's beautiful; long dark hair cascading down her back, tattoos tracing every inch of her arms. She's doing drugs, but she doesn't look like she belongs here. 

"Who is that?" He asks, not looking away from her. 

His friend's eyes flutter, intoxicated, as he looks around. "Who, the girl at the table? That's Miranda. I wouldn't try it, she's not here to make friends. She's hot though, right?" He nudges him with his elbow.

"Yes.." William replies. "But I don't buy that." He eyes her from across the room, leaning against the door and causing it to hit the wall with a thud.

Miranda looks up in surprise, not knowing anyone was there. She rolls her eyes, expecting another terrible pickup line at an attempt to get her to go home with them. She was there for one thing and one thing only: drugs.  

William walks over, confident as he is. He stands in front of her, smiling. 

She looks up at him, taking in his features. Chiseled jaw, dark and mysterious eyes, a tight smirk plastered across his handsome face. He didn't belong here, and she knew it. Something about him was captivating, though, and she couldn't help but smile back. 

"Hi," She begins. "I'm Miranda." 

He laughs softly. "Ah, so I've heard," He states boldly. "William Jenkinson." He holds out his hand for hers, and kisses the top of it softly. 

She giggles. "Are you from around here? I don't recognize you." 

He shakes his head. "No, I don't suppose you would. I'm not from here, I'm visiting my father. He talks of passing his business to me."