Chapter 18

Elsa's p.o.v

I was in my room, leaning against the door. It couldn't be true, it just couldn't be. My parents died in a plane wreck. I didn't feel like doing anything, I didn't feel like going anywhere, I didn't feel like talking to anyone. I'm one of those people who mourn by oneself.

I was still surprised that my parents died. Yeah, my parents were using me so they had an heir, but I grew to love them, sure they abandoned me when I was a baby, sure my dad was dying any way. But they didn't have to die like that. I heard a knock on the door.

"Elsa, it's me Hiccup, I was wondering if you wanted to go and ice skate to get your mind off of things?" I slowly get up and open the door.

"Elsa, I'm sorry." He says and I hug him.

We go downstairs and I hear my friends talking. It wasn't long and we were on our way to the skating rink. We put our skates on and got on the ice. Hiccup and I were practising our routine, so was Eugene, Rap, Kristof and Anna. Jack and Merida were doing their own things.

Hiccup and I were skating like no one else was there. I felt free, I felt lighter then I had ever been. We finished and our friends clapped and yelled.

I smiled. "You guys are good enough to enter the competition."

"They don't know about me being blind." I state.

"We don't have to tell them." Anna suggest.

I think for a moment. "Well, okay I guess."
They all cheered. We all practised and signed up for the competition.

The day of the competition

It was the day of the competition, I wasn't nervous, I wasn't scared, I was excited. I got dressed and limped as fast as I could down stairs, my parents funerals were a few days ago, we found someone to buy the company, I couldn't take care of it, I'm blind, but I can take care of my sister.

I found the skating outfit Jack bought and put it in my bag, I grabbed an apple, my skates and the book Hiccup got me, it's Romeo and Juliet in braille. I then went outside and waited for Hiccup to pick me up, we were going to practise then wait an hour for the competition and then go out to dinner with our friends.

I soon heard a car pull up. It had to be Hiccup. He helped me into the car and we went to the skating rink. We entered the building and put our skates on. We were soon on the ice doing our routine. All too quickly, it was time to get ready to preform for the competition.

It was our turn, I wasn't scared, I wasn't nervous, I was happy. The music started and we started to skate. I did my triple jumps and spins. We danced on the ice. After we were finished, I heard the crowds clap. I was smiling, we took a bow and went back to the outskirts of the rink. We waited for the last people to go and then it was soon time for the judges to make their decision.

We were called out on the ice. "Third place goes to Anna and Kristof. Second place goes to Rapunzel and Eugene." He took a few seconds until he pronounced first place. "And first place goes to Elsa and Hiccup." Hiccup and I hugged, I heard people clapping. It felt wonderful.

The girls were given flowers and the boys got to hold the trophy. I heard someone calling me so I excused myself and exited the rink to the back exit and went outside.

"Hello Elsa."

"Jane."

She embraces me and I hug back.

"You did it Elsa. You did it."

"Yes I did. But the question is, did you do it?"

"Yes, yes I did it. My concert is tomorrow, I got you a ticket. Front row, you can listen to me play."

"Wow, we did it Jane, we fulfilled our dreams. It's like they say. 'Anything is possible it you set your mind to it'."

"Yes, it's true." I grab a single rose.

"Here, as Shakespeare said. 'What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell so sweet'. You are special Jane, just like the sun or the rose. You helped me, I thank you, I have no other way to repay you except to be your friend."

"I don't expect anything from you, but your friendship would be a gift I could never out do." I smile.

"How about we stay even and be friends?"

"That I can manage. We hug again. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye Jane."

"Bye Elsa." I wave to her.

It wasn't long until I heard footsteps behind me. I knew it was Hiccup without him saying anything. "Hey Hiccup."

"Man Elsa, you're getting good at this." I smile.

"Well Els, we did it." I laugh.

"That we did."

"Come on, we're going to celebrate." I nod and allow him to lead me back inside.