𝐓𝐀𝐖𝐍𝐘𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓'𝐒 𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐈𝐂𝐄 𝐏𝐓. 𝐎𝐍𝐄

A cold droplet of water fell from the branches of the tree that loomed over Tawnyflight, and a shiver passed over her and she shook the droplet away

A cold droplet of water fell from the branches of the tree that loomed over Tawnyflight, and a shiver passed over her and she shook the droplet away. She continued watching the bustling Clan, too restless to go to her nest and sleep even though her kits were almost there and she should be getting all the rest she could. Shadowheart would have wanted her to go to sleep, but she just couldn't. She barely got any rest the night before, too. What was on her mind was the possibility of leaving her birth Clan in pursuit of a new life, possibly in FrostClan, but she doubted that anyone in FrostClan would welcome her, even though she was obviously expecting kits.

Ever since she had begun to go on patrols and fight for the Clan as an apprentice, she had suspected that this Clan was a bad Clan, and every day, especially after Moonclaw left, her suspicions were proven right slowly and gradually. Now that she was expecting, the safety of her kits was all that she thought about all day. Now was the time to leave since her kits would be born any day now.

You have to tell Shadowheart, a voice in the back of her mind told her.

But how will he react? He loves me so much, and he knows that I love him and that I'm expecting his kits, obviously, but how will he take it if he knows that I plan on leaving? Tawnyflight fretted.

You could invite him to come with you.

Tawnyflight scoffed at her superstitious thoughts. Yeah, like FrostClan would let two MoonClan cats into their ranks. Especially when one of them is about to bring more MoonClan warriors into the Clan.

After a bit of thought, Tawnyflight realized that they wouldn't really be MoonClan cats when they were born. They didn't even have to know that they had MoonClan blood in them. But what if one of them becomes as bloodthirsty as a MoonClan warrior? Tawnyflight worried.

Stop worrying about that, Tawnyflight snapped at herself. If they don't know, that won't happen. Besides, you're doing this for them. Not just for you.

Tawnyflight snapped out of her thoughts when she noticed Shadowheart coming toward her with a mouse dangling in his jaws. "Good morning, gorgeous," he greeted her, setting down the mouse in front of her. "I just went on a hunting patrol, and figured you'd be hungry."

"Thanks." Tawnyflight paused for a moment. "Shadowheart, I need to talk to you about something important. In . . . in private. Whenever you're ready."

"We can talk now. Where? Outside of the camp?"

"That would be fine." Tawnyflight heaved herself and her kits to her paws and led Shadowheart outside of the camp. When they were far enough away from camp, she turned to look at him and said, "I'm leaving."

"What? Now? Why?" Shadowheart's expression went from concern to fear. "You can't! You need to be here for the kits, at least."

"I can't stay here. I don't want our kits to be raised in a Clan where they kill for pleasure. I certainly don't want them to turn out as murderers," Tawnyflight hissed, flattening her ears.